Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WalMart fabric >

WalMart fabric

WalMart fabric

Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

According to home office (when I was there last month), they are returning full bolt fabric to 700 stores that lost their fabric by September. Our store is not receiving full bolt fabric. We are receiving the "creative cuts" or pre cut fabric. Fabric departments that have the creative cuts and are clearancing them out, are getting full bolt fabric.

Originally Posted by quiltwhisperer
i checked with walmart about fabric dept returning---they say they are returning all fabric depts to all walmart stores-i have already shopped at 1 in northern virginia a few days ago :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 AM

We have a couple of Wal-Marts close by and neither one carry fabric. Liked it when they did.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for your comments. All large retail stores do the same thing but I for one think it is good that they are listening to their customers. They had so many complaints about taking the fabric out. I know of many fabric stores that continue to operate even with fabric in Wal Marts. We have a very large (about the size of old Wal Mart Stores) fabric store in our county that is always busy and there are two Wal Marts that have large fabric departments in the county. We had three Wal Marts with fabric (one was only a mile away) until they closed one of the fabric departments.

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by TacoMama
They should NOT have taken the bolts out in the first place! Wal-Mart has caused a lot of businesses to close. My aunt had a fabric shop and she couldn't compete with their prices, so she closed and then the WM took out the fabric section of their store. Dirty, dirty, dirty!!!!!!
That is what all big box stores do. Ask any man what happens when Lowe's and Home Depot comes into town.
The mom and pop hardware stores close and then when they are closed Home depot dose not carry all of the little specialty things.

Walmart gets the bad rap but really all big box stores do the same thing and it is really we the consumer that drives the little guys out by voting with our wallet
Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 AM

I checked out our local WalMart yesterday. They are starting to get the bolts in, but it looks like a very small area. I hope it doesn't hurt the LQS!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 AM

There is no fabric in Kingsland, GA Walmart. Not even precuts. So I don't shop there unless for groceries. I'd rather drive to Target for everything else. Walmart, are you listening? I used to spend $400.00 a week then the fabric went and so did I.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 AM

I have been to several Walmarts in different states and was not happy with the quality nor the pricing of what they were selling. Difinitely found no bargains and what I saw on their so-called bargain table was not worth buying.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 AM

Wish my WM had FQs and 5" squares. Will drive to another WM that sells them today. Just to see if they have this sell.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 AM

wow that is interesting. My WM had their fat quarters reduced to 75 cents each so I figured they were getting rid of them as well - we lost bolts this past spring and then the 2 yard cuts came in and I don't think they have been selling all too well....
Next time I'm in mine I'll have to scan the price to see if ours have been reduced...
Old 07-20-2011, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
It's mostly the management of the local store if the store is one of the can if you want to sell fabric or not. I can tell a big difference in the WalMarts that have knowledgeable sewers in the dept from the ones that prefer crafting.
Not necessarily.

Sometimes the local management does all it can to keep the fabric department (Dade City, FL- 2009- for example) - and corporate ran rough-shod over what they wanted.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by snowdenb
Yesterday the creative cuts were marked down to $3.98 for 2 yards. Regular price $7.97. When I checked out the price was $1.99 for 2 yards. Some fat quarters and 5 inch squares (100) were $2.74. Some of the fat quarters were 31 cents. Of course I walked back and picked up several more.
This store still says they are not getting the bolts back but they are reducing the price of the fabric.
The price was worth walking back twice to get more fabric.
We do not have fabric in our store yet