Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart fabrics win international prize >

Walmart fabrics win international prize

Walmart fabrics win international prize

Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 AM

Several years ago the WalMart near here did a remodel and the manager of the fabric section told all of her customers to write headquarters stating reasons WHY it was necessary for the store to keep fabric. Some weeks later I had a chance to speak with her again and she told me to tell people not to write any more letters, and also said she had seen the blueprints allowing for a cutting area for fabric! When the remodel was complete, there was indeed a fabric section, not as big as before, but there! Some of the first fabrics weren't all the greatest, but there has been more added gradually, and there is some nice-quality stuff there. I made a t-shirt quilt for a niece using a shade of red (couldn't find what I wanted in my LQS) and when I took it to my LA quilter, she complimented on the weight and feel of the fabric. So, yes, if I need to, I will buy WM fabric again. I do buy a lot of fleece there for tie blankets. They usually have a pretty good selection, especially around the holidays.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM

We live 20 mi in any direction from a town with more than a gro store dollar store bank post office feed store hardware store! So in one town only pre cuts at one wal mart and few of them. Go the opposite direction and they have a great fabric department size wise lots of bolts colors etc. You just have to be careful and selective.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Our Walmart brought back fabric too.Whoooo Hoooo.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Our Wal*Mart never closed their fabric department. They were going to but when they remodled the store they enlarged it.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 AM

Both our Wal-Marts have fabric. The older superstore discontinued their fabric but then brought it back....after many protests, I'm sure, and perhaps lost sales. The newer superstore (two years old) included a fabric section from the beginning. Both stores have nice fabrics, same quality and often same fabrics, as JoAnn's. The problem is they have no dedicated fabric salesperson and so it's always a mess. When I go there, sometimes it's all I can do not to try to bring order and tidy up the bolts!

But the prices and selection are good, so I continue to shop for fabric there.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM

My local Walmart brought the fabric back. I have gotten some really wonderful fabrics there. One is $2 a year, and has a vinegar smell to it. I bought some and wish I had gotten more. Yes, you do have to watch some, but so far I have been very happy!

ps Guess I lucked out, ours does have a dedicated sales person.!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I moved 6 weeks ago and was delighted that the local Walmart carries fabric but limited. Haven't found a local quilt store that is on the bus route. Some one had posted that they got Fat quarters & Pops on sale but no sale at my store. Thought it would make a cute quilt for a foster kids. Oh well, just have to keep checking. And yes, YOU DO HAVE TO examine the fabric closely. There are seconds in there and the other BIG chain store too !!!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM

I have found that no one store carries everything; ie. thread, fabrics, notions, machines, etc. If I want Civil War type fabrics, I would have to go to a specific LQS. If I want bright, cheery colors for children, I go to another shop. If I buy an Olfa, Fiskars, etc. notion, I go where I can get the best price. I think most quilters learn to have a touch, feel of good quality cotton fabrics. We can't be right all the time, however because the producers of fabrics are very wise and clever about makings their products. Almost all fabrics are made overseas. There are a few States that grow cotton but the recent droughts and floods have wiped out most of their crops. We have no textile mills anymore. All the mills started closing in the '60s and the equipment to make fabrics (looms, weavers, etc.) were sold to the overseas markets. We are a consumer/service driven society these days. However, I will still be buying fabrics and supplies where I find them and like the quality and prices of things, whether it be at the LQSs or big box stores...
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Our Wally world has a pretty fair sized fabric center. Quality varies, but I have gotten some very nice stuff there. Only problem is that when they are short at the f ront of the store, the lady by the fabric gets pulled out. sigh. You have to call for someone to help.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 AM

I adore Walmart. Not sure why - a mile from home and on my way to work are reasons. It is among few which kept the fabric dept. our Joann's closed 2 stores and opened one big one farther away.hancock closed years ago. I don't quilt exclusively - toys, flowers,yo yos.baby items Etc. they do have a premium line which I like and sometimes the cheaper fabric is better for a given project. They have a decent selection of notions and supplies so I have to go 10 miles to buy interfacing, a zipper or buttons. Many brands are the same as Joann's. the best part is choice. If ya don't like WM ya don't have to shop there. Wounded warrior wife - please thank your husband for his service. Hes one reason we have any choices at all.