Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart fabrics win international prize >

Walmart fabrics win international prize

Walmart fabrics win international prize

Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 AM

Default Walmart brought back fabric to Lubbock

There are at least 2 Walmarts in Lubbock, TX. The one we frequent has brought fabric back...a fairly nice amount and variety. Is there as much as at Joann Fabrics? No, but there is a nice assortment. I rarely buy fabric at Joann's (quality is about equal to Walmart where I shop). When I go to Walmart for fabric...they may/may not have what I need...but the thread, patterns, etc. are there. Quilting supplies are there...we have a great craft/sewing area at the 4th & Franklin Walmart in Lubbock.

Joann's where I go for batting & some other supplies (on sale/coupons) is very crowded (narrow isles, stuff in the wider isles, etc.). Guess I'm getting old, because this closed in feeling agitates me...I get what I came for and get out. At Walmart...I browse a lot more, kinda crazy...but for me it matters.

If you look at Joann's, fabrics are usually on sale, but still more than what they cost at Walmart...on sale, coupon is no good. I buy there when I have the extra % off coupons. I want to support Joann's, but it's hard for me.

Just found out we have a Hancock's in Lubbock...have to go and check them out...I've ordered online from them, but haven't been in a physical store in years.

We are a 70 to 80 mile round trip from any fabric or Walmart store...so, I really have to plan and make a shopping list of what I need....go by my list and get back to my shop.

Yesterday, a customer needed her daughter's jacket back...I don't have the seperating zipper I need. I had to ask the customer (works in Lubbock) to please pick up a zipper from Walmart or Joanns (she works at Walmart). I hate doing that. I probably won't charge to put the zipper in. Will even remove the stains and clean the jacket (white sweatshirt type jacket. May even add a bit of "bling" (embroidery).

Another thing...customer service...after over 30 years in customer service jobs...including 7-11; Fabricland and Joann (among others)...I feel customer service to be even more important that cost. Our Walmart fabric area ladies & fellah are the best!

Originally Posted by Wounded warrior wife View Post
If you don't believe it. Read 1776 a quilting book. Soldiers during war made quilt from pieces of their uniforms. I woman made a reproduction of this quilt using walmart fabrics and won this very prestidious award. Keep telling walmart managers to bring back their fabric. We email CEO and told him if they have fabric we buy 20 dollars of fabric and 200 dollars of other items. No fabric, 200 dollars lost. I buy my main fabric at quilt store and everything else at walmart. My favorite store!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 PM

I buy 95% of my fabric at Walmart & have wonderful success with the color & it holding up well with the everyday wear & tear since I use mine everyday & wash often no complaints only Kudos by the way our Walmart has 4 shelves & endcaps of fabric wonderful selection & prices. there are some fabrics not suitable for quilting, but I think we all can tell when we run into some of that, just a good feel or pull a thread, I like spending less for more.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM

I was just at our Walmart this morning and they are revamping the fabric department and they had gotten in some really great fabric at affordable prices. Went and got the DH just to show him the the difference in the quality of the fabric they did have and the NEW fabric. 100% cotton and good quality.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

thread is being closed with negative posts removed