Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart - good and bad news

Walmart - good and bad news

I needed 1 1/2 yards of something black for the backing of a wall hanging. Got to Walmart's fabric dept planning to call customer service as soon as I got there to ask for a clerk to cut the fabric, but ... there was a clerk at the cutting table! This was after 6:00 PM even! They had the perfect black I needed, the shelves were full - they have been a bit skimpy lately - and the clerk said she had 50 new bolts coming in. The bad news is the prices are up a bit. I had expected to pay $4+ for this - about what I've paid in the past. This basic black on black was $5.44/yard. Yes, a WHOLE lot better than what I'd pay anywhere else, but makes me wonder what the new bolts will be priced at.

I'll be checking in soon to see what new things are there. I love to get holiday fabrics, fabric for my grandboys nap sets for preschool, backings for wall hangings, table runner fabrics - especially seasonal ones. Love my LQS and spend as much as I can there, but ... glad we have an alternative too.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    our has some NEW fabrics that came in at $10+

I was at Hobby Lobby last Friday and found some bolts marked at either $12 or $14 - I was so in shock I forget which! these were 100% cotton children's prints. They were really pretty, but prices like that seem designed to FORCE me to get deals online.

more reasons to shop with coupons and/or wait for sales. glad I have a stash!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

My Walmart still does not have fabric.

OMG! So much for bringing back the fab, uh?
    Country 1

Well, for $8 and change I got the backing for a wall-hanging and at my LQS would have been $15 so ... better. Not a quality I'd wish for if something was going to be washed frequently, but for a wall hanging no problem.

My avatar is a nap set for a grandboy. Made it in August with fabric from Walmart at $4.44/yard. He had 2 sets through the fall so it was washed every couple of weeks and ... still looks as good as the day I made it. He now has 3 sets so it won't get washed even that often so may even make next year, too. The only one that hasn't done well is a pillowcase style nap-mat cover with flannel from Hobby Lobby - it has pilled and faded. It's the reason I made a 3rd set - that and Walmart had some Dallas Cowboy fabric and he LOVES the Dallas Cowboys! For these novelty fabrics that will be used only a short time - a year or two I consider a short time - I can spend $5/yd and be a happy camper. Now if I can just keep finding that $5/yard is the issue.....
    Last edited by JanTx; 02-28-2012 at 10:36 PM.

The way fabric prices are going up some of us are going to be rethinking how we buy fabric. As for me no more buying fabric just because I like it. SOB, SNIFFLE, CRY, Now I only buy when I need it and shop my stash first. Fixed incomes only stretch so far before they snap back and hit you in the face, LOL OH well it is still fun to look.

Quote Originally Posted by gramie bj View Post
    the way fabric prices are going up some of us are going to be rethinking how we buy fabric. As for me no more buying fabric just because i like it. Sob, sniffle, cry, now i only buy when i need it and shop my stash first. Fixed incomes only stretch so far before they snap back and hit you in the face, lol oh well it is still fun to look.
    i'm with you sister, may in jersey

I'm still in shock about the $10-12 a yard fabrics. I started building my stash back in 2007 and thankfully I have a lot on hand. HOwever every once in a while you need just the right fabric for a border or backing and can't always shop from the stash. I try to buy with coupons at Joann's or shop on line at fabric.com or Connecting Threads, or Thousands of Bolts. Usually try to check out their clearance items first. I'm on a fixed income now that I'm retired so do have to watch the budget.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I am always very envious of you in the States, with your very low prices. $5.44 = 3.41 at today's conversion rate. The cheapest plain block coloured cotton I can buy is 5.50 per mtr = $8.75. We regularly pay 8-12 per mtr for cotton fabric ($12.73 - $19.00) in quilting shops. Even on my local market I am looking at about 5-6.50 per mtr.

The global price of unprocessed raw cotton reached an all time high in 2011 - $2.23 per pound. Although cotton prices have now started to drop (under a dollar a pound), manufacturers are still using cotton they purchased some time ago, and - in true entreprenurial style, and in response to market forces - are passing the cost onto us, the consumer. So much for the free market economy!

I am very careful what I purchase. I recover previously used material from clothing: any cotton fabric from shirts, dresses, etc. It is a bit time consuming, but in a funny kind of way, gives me a link with the past, when quilts were made using leftover fabric. My favourite quilt is one that I didn't make! It was made by my great grandmother, as a bedcover for my grandmother when she left home to get married. It used old dress fabrics and leftover pieces of material, because she didn't have the luxury of purchasing new fabric from her local quilting shop! All through my childhood I remember it being on my grandmothers bed. It is now on mine!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrownowl View Post
    I am very careful what I purchase. I recover previously used material from clothing: any cotton fabric from shirts, dresses, etc. It is a bit time consuming, but in a funny kind of way, gives me a link with the past, when quilts were made using leftover fabric. My favourite quilt is one that I didn't make! It was made by my great grandmother, as a bedcover for my grandmother when she left home to get married. It used old dress fabrics and leftover pieces of material, because she didn't have the luxury of purchasing new fabric from her local quilting shop! All through my childhood I remember it being on my grandmothers bed. It is now on mine!
    what a wonderful memory to snuggle under every night!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I hear we must blame the cost increases on droughts in cotton producing countries.
    Arlene

Gas prices are up and so goes fabric!!

I was really shocked the other week I went to pickup flannel for the backing of my quilt. I needed the off white. They had two bolts one was less than a yard, the other was new. However, the new one looked like second quality. Every 6-10 inches it had a color weaved into the fabric. Reds, black, and bright blue. Just one line. We went through the whole bolt and it was like this. I was willing to try it since it was the back of the fabric but she didn't want to discount it. I was disappointed I went with a muslin. Was disappointed but found one that was a thicker fabric. The first one was paper thin. I wont waste my time going back unless I'm desperate.

If they want to compete with the Fabric store maybe they should carry first quality fabric and not seconds, especially if they are going to charge the same prices. JMO.
    Diane

Blog Entries
    I am just glad that I don't own a quilt shop! If you go to the grocery store you will notice that the prices are going up, in some cases almost daily! People "have" to have food; there are alternatives to purchasing fabric. Everything else is going up so we have less disposable income to spend on our hobby. If you don't support your local shop; soon there will be no shops.
    Cherylsea

I bought solid black ( Moda Bella Solids) on line today for 4.50 a yard. If you go to quiltshops.com and type in what your looking for, there are over 200 shops there. Every one of them that has it will pop up. You can price compare, you would'nt believe the price differences sometimes.

Power Poster
    yes even wal mart has gone up /
    QUILTNMO

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    My Walmart still does not have fabric.
    Nor does mine....
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I know fabric is getting more expensive, but for me it is much cheaper than my last serious hobbit! I was into fusing glass for several years & that is one expensive hobby! BTW, does anybody was to buy one or two glass kilns! lol
    Mazda

Our local walmarts have brought fabric back and they did bring in the new stuff at $8.97 a yd! I do admit they are beautiful and I did buy one yd to see. The cotton isn't that bad at all. I've made pillowcases with them but at that price and the quality and its local, saving on gas vs. going to my lqs 45 mins. away I'd opt to purchase at wally world. Yes they do have $5.44 a yd fabric but not much in solids there. Just my opinion

I bought some beautiful quilting fabric a few weeks ago from the "February Collection" and it was 3.97/yard. I went back a few days later and all of the fabrics the clerk had checked in that day were 7.97/yard. Same quality. Still it is a savings over some of the 12.00/yard fabrics.

I also bought some from Hobby Lobby that was 12.00/yard, but they have the everyday 30%, so I don't worry about that cost so much. Our craft is getting much more expensive. I guess we could all start sewing from our stash. Nah!
    Laissez les bons temps rouler! Or, as we say in south Louisiana:
    Let the Good Times Roll!

I agree. Solids do not appear to be important to WM. It is a bit puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
    Our local walmarts have brought fabric back and they did bring in the new stuff at $8.97 a yd! I do admit they are beautiful and I did buy one yd to see. The cotton isn't that bad at all. I've made pillowcases with them but at that price and the quality and its local, saving on gas vs. going to my lqs 45 mins. away I'd opt to purchase at wally world. Yes they do have $5.44 a yd fabric but not much in solids there. Just my opinion
    Laissez les bons temps rouler! Or, as we say in south Louisiana:
    Let the Good Times Roll!

My Walmart still doesn't have fabric back, either. One clerk was not sure where they'd put it. I can never get an answer from any of the clerks. No one seems to know if or when. I'll have to try to find the manager, but I bet he'll be evasive, too. There's no competition in theis end of town. I wish they'd get going!!!!
    SittingPretty

The prices in JoAnns and Hancocks here don't seem to have gone up as fast as y'all are describing for your stores (but I haven't really been shopping, except the remnant bin, so I may just not have noticed yet). What I can't understand is how Canadian quilters can afford to make anything larger than a potholder - whenever I go back to my Native Land I visit the LQS in my hometown, and the prices are always $17-22/meter (!!). I would be a very fearful quilter at those prices Or maybe I would just shop Value Village and Goodwill for old clothes to take apart...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast