Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart - good and bad news >

Walmart - good and bad news

Walmart - good and bad news

Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

It is true 'supply and demand' and also the fabric doesn't just appear at the stores, and so we know with the price of gas, and all these big trucks that run all over our country that to keep driving everything will go up. Also, with world tensions as they are, prices will be influenced with trade. And, yes the weather everywhere is causing havoc. I think about the times of my grandmothers, and the reasons they used fabric from everything possible. We may live those times again, hopefully not worse.

Also, I went to our Wal-Mart the other day, and they had got in a new shipment of fabric, and they already had a lot. The prices are going up too. I left with 2 yards. I wanted to leave with about 200 yards. lol...
Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 PM

I just got home from Wally World and brought several pieces of new fabric to add to my stash. I was amazed at a few bolts they had that was LQS quality! Soft and thick and very pretty. And lots of new bolts that were like the ones posted above-real nice fabric. I think it was the nicest selection I've ever seen at Wal-mart. Priced at 4.44, 5.97 and 7.97. Even a few nice ones at 4.00 clearanced. Should have bought more, I suppose.
I feel sorry for the countries that pay so much more! We do have it good compared to them. And to consider using already used fabric is an interesting thought.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 PM

I have found some great buys on CraigsList. My LQS is my Walmart, unless I drive a good distance and gas is far too pricey. But in the last month I found one woman who is moving and had too much stash, $1.00 FQ Moda, RGR, etc. And a lovely woman (I've been twice) who bought a long arm quilt machine at an estate sale of a woman who ran some sort of local guild and she had to buy the fabric. Bolts, bolts, bolts, boxes, boxes. All excellent quality, probably over 100+ bolts at $3.50 a yard and hundreds, hundreds of FQ at $1.00 each. I may not always get the exact color I want, but I'm sure gonna be unhappy when she sells off all she has (plus if you buy a lot, she give you a good deal!). Fixed incomes are sure a problem, but my WM has marked down fabric, $4.50 or less a yard, and some is quite good. But an earlier poster is right, check it all through when it's measured out. I have found lots of stuff in the fabric.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM

I have also noticed a price increase at our Walmart. However, the fabric appears to be a higher quality than the fabric they carried before and the price is still cheaper than a LQS or actual fabric store.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 AM

I agree wholeheartedly, "IF WE DON'T SUPPORT OUR LOCAL SHOPS, THERE WILL BE NO LOCAL SHOPS!"
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 AM

I am from the Netherlands. Here prices started at 18$ a yard and are now going up to 24$ a yard. 6$ a yard looks like a bargain to me, even 10 or 12$!!!
Now you know why my stash can be put in one box. I buy per project. And a fabric has to be really, really nice to buy it without a project in mind!

have fun quilting!
Annemart
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 AM

Not only did the price of cotton go up, but consider how the price of fuel is going up! That can ONLY be spelling doom for the low prices of ANY product out there. They have to transport the products and the higher the fuel prices, the higher the product will be for US!!!!