Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart - good and bad news >

Walmart - good and bad news

Walmart - good and bad news

Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM
mah

Our Walmart has new fabric coming in and priced at just below $8 a yd!!!! Glad I overbought when I started doing "shop hops" when I started quilting about 8yrs. ago. I just fell in love with kits so I have quite a few to keep me going for awhile. But I still love to buy fabric but just can't buy alot anymore at the new prices!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Our Walmart has brought back a few fabrics - very recently. Prices are up but I didn't have time to look ay much. Hope the Hobby Lobby stores here don't drag in a bunch at $10-$12 a yard. I have quite a bit of fabric and haven't been buying much. I've been destashing and have sold a lot that I won't use or don't think I'll use. :-) I'm beginning to wonder if selling much more will be a good idea.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Our Walmart spent the last year remodeling and enlarging the store. I went in last week for the first time since the remodel. I looked for the fabric dept. in the area where it was before---but, no fabric. I finally found a lady who worked there and asked her if they had done away with the fabric dept. She took me to the middle of the store and there it was---FABRIC! The dept. was a mess and there was nobody there to cut it, but it was there. After looking through what was available, I didn't find anything that I really wanted. If I had, I would have had to search for somebody to cut it. Let's just say, I was not impressed with the "new look" of the fabric dept. Some of the stores have good fabric depts.---ours isn't one of them. But the management of this particular store has never been great.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
I needed 1 1/2 yards of something black for the backing of a wall hanging. Got to Walmart's fabric dept planning to call customer service as soon as I got there to ask for a clerk to cut the fabric, but ... there was a clerk at the cutting table! This was after 6:00 PM even! They had the perfect black I needed, the shelves were full - they have been a bit skimpy lately - and the clerk said she had 50 new bolts coming in. The bad news is the prices are up a bit. I had expected to pay $4+ for this - about what I've paid in the past. This basic black on black was $5.44/yard. Yes, a WHOLE lot better than what I'd pay anywhere else, but makes me wonder what the new bolts will be priced at.

I'll be checking in soon to see what new things are there. I love to get holiday fabrics, fabric for my grandboys nap sets for preschool, backings for wall hangings, table runner fabrics - especially seasonal ones. Love my LQS and spend as much as I can there, but ... glad we have an alternative too.
I have several pieces of fabric I bought at WalMart years ago for $.547 a yard. That was before they got rid of the fabric and brought it back, so it's been at least five years. I haven't found anything at WalMart much more expensive than that now that the fabric is back, but who knows what tomorrow will bring! froggyintexas
Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM

I'm another one that has a large stash to shop from but of course it seems with every project there is at least one fabric that is elusive in the stash. I can usually find a beautiful fabric in Walmart that will work but oh the sticker shock!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 PM

There are reasons why cotton fabric is going up in price.
Last years weather was a big factor in the US. The drought
in Texas & other cotton growing states. And overseas some cotton growing
countries had floods that ruined their crop. So there is a shortage of cotton
available. It's a matter of supply & demand. Sad but true. Let's hope there
will be a better crop this year. I'll be surprised if prices go down much, though.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
My Walmart still does not have fabric.
The 3 Walmarts in my area have not gotten any fabric back in, accept for the precuts. The closest Walmart with fabric is over 30 miles North of us (or 28 traffice lights)

But when I was looking at online stores while doing the fabshophop - sale fabrics were $6 + per yard - I was shocked at the prices of CLEARANCE or SALES fabric
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM

I went to a new Walmart here in middle TN. and the prices are way out of line. Also, they had no clerk to cut what I wanted, but another clerk came by after 10 minutes and said she'd cut it. I asked for 2 + 1/4 yds and she just gave me what was left on the bolt and undercharged for that. I tried to tell her the price wasn't right, but she just left the piece on the table with the ticket and walked off.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
I was at Hobby Lobby last Friday and found some bolts marked at either $12 or $14 - I was so in shock I forget which! these were 100% cotton children's prints. They were really pretty, but prices like that seem designed to FORCE me to get deals online.
Ladies, when you start paying anywhere between $24 - $28 for your fabric then I think you can "worry" about the price of materials until then....
Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Just got back from another Walmart trip. (I live in a small town - nothing in town is farther than about 5 minutes away!) The fabric department is bursting at the seams. The clerk isn't even sure where she'll put all the fabric. Most of it is listed as quilting fabric - 100% cotton - made in Pakistan. Again there was a clerk at the cutting desk - twice in two trips! I got two sets of 3 1-yd cuts to make kid quilts. The entire quilt will be slightly under $15. Fabrics I bought ranged from $4.44 - 5.47 a yard. I saw others that were around the $8 mark.

Most are novelty type fabrics - blenders are harder to find, but ... I'll take it!
Attached Thumbnails dsc02112.jpg   dsc02113.jpg