Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WalMart Newspaper Ad today, Fabrics Are Back PLUS

I hate the way our walmarts here in Maryland have changed their store....it doesnt feel friendly anymore...the isles are like grocery stores and the employees dont seem to be happy anymore...and loosing the fabric dept made me so sad....and now they have fabric but its in small packages that you cant touch...I like feeling the fabric and seeing what Iam getting....hate, hate it.....Trish

Blog Entries
    I got that flyer in my newspaper this morning but did not take the time to note using coupons say like from JoAnn's and etc. We have a nice area in our store which is less than a mile from my house and tons of new materials have come in, I went last week and spent $55.00 of my VISA Birthday care. LOL I could not make up my mind on 3 different pieces I wanted to use for back grounds on several projects. They have sewing machines and all kinds of threads and trims, I would pester your local stores and ask to speak to the manager and etc until you get them in your store.

Blog Entries
    I hope they do. Their fabric is not quilt shop quality but then there's alot of people I make quilts for that I do not want to spend quilt shop prices for. I made my son a quilt with Wal Mart fabric back in 1999, he has used it EVERYDAY & then some & it's falling apart but it held up for 10 yrs. Good enough for me

I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Blog Entries
    I have two walmarts in my area that sell fabric.They are nice big depts and nice people. I'm one of the lucky ones.We sometimes RV and I miss stopping in at the walmarts along our journey to look at the fabric. It gave me something to do when hubby was at parts stores.Oh yeah, my hubby felt the same way we do when walmart downsized they're auto dept.

Blog Entries
    The Walmart near me is a new store (1 yr) and it never had fabric. I was in there last week and lo and behold it now has fabric - yardage and precuts. Some appeared to be good quality. "You pay your money and you take your choice" as the saying goes. If you don't like it don't buy it.

Not sure how many are old enough to remember Walmart in its early days. They advertised coming to your town, helping the town, and giving jobs. Well, they have helped my town close many businesses, made many try elswhere to find jobs, and cheapened all products I use. Now people who have lost their good manufacturing jobs, can work in Walmarts warehouse full of 'made in China' junk, or stock their shelves or even be a greeter!!! Can't wait to shop Walmart!!

When I went to Home Office in June (I am not an executive or Manager, just a cashier selected to represent our store) they announced they were putting fabric back in 700 stores by September. If you contact HO, they will know you want fabric back. It seems they are listening to their customer feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    I went to the website, but no luck in finding out which stores have fabrics and/or will be getting back their fabric selection. So the 2000+ stores advertised in the flyer could just well be the same stores that still have fabric selections. It was a 2 page flyer ad in our newspaper this morning.

Blog Entries
    Now if WalMart would only hire people to actually cut the fabric and stay in the fabric department it would be fine but our local store has nobody there most of the time and I refuse to wait 10-30 minutes to search for a clerk who knows how to measure and cut fabric. They could have a self-serve and it would work better but not to their bottom line.

I copied what you said about the fabric manager, emailed it to myself and am going to take it to our local Walmart when I get home from vacationing in Georgia. Neither Walmart here has fabric (Cumming, Ga) but ours at home does (Rochester, NY). I'd like better fabric there because a lot of is thin. Fabric manager is the one to go to!!

With regard to someone who cuts fabric, last time I went, I waited about 10 minutes and a young guy came over from automotive. Believe it or not, he cut more generously than any woman who had ever cut there for me before, LOL. For once it paid for me to exercise my patience. :) :)

[quote=BellaBoo]
    Quote Originally Posted by laceybritt
    The fabric dept manager is the one that orders from Walmart warehouse what to have in the fabric dept. I've seen the fabric/quilting/notion book what Walmart stocks in the warehouses. The fabric manager can order any of it. For that dept manager to act ignorant about it doesn't fly with me. I say show me in the order book where you don't have it available to order and I'll personally get in touch with the dist. manager to ask why you can't order it when the other Walmarts have it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I got that one also. One store closest to me has put back in a t i n y area... won't shop for fabric there. The other store had a wonderful supply of cloth and items. Have to check out if they are back in business. I have JoAnn's, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby, and LQS here in Louisville so I still have some choices. YEAH for WalMart finally listening to us quilters~~~~~!!!!!

The Walmart store in McHenry, IL never did get rid of the fabric department, but when they opened up the super Walmart in Crystal Lake, it never did have a fabric department. It doesn't look like they are getting one because I was just in there yesterday and everything's the way it was with just a craft department.

The Walmart store in McHenry, IL never did get rid of the fabric department, but when they opened up the super Walmart in Crystal Lake, it never did have a fabric department. It doesn't look like they are getting one because I was just in there yesterday and everything's the way it was with just a craft department.

Blog Entries
    We'VE got the fabric here as well as batting & all the sewing supplies Good quality fabric as well as the cheaper but some of thier 1.50 fabric is as good as you get at the quilt stores So no complaints in this area Happy Happy Happy!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellageo
    Not sure how many are old enough to remember Walmart in its early days. They advertised coming to your town, helping the town, and giving jobs. Well, they have helped my town close many businesses, made many try elswhere to find jobs, and cheapened all products I use. Now people who have lost their good manufacturing jobs, can work in Walmarts warehouse full of 'made in China' junk, or stock their shelves or even be a greeter!!! Can't wait to shop Walmart!!
    AMEN! I try not to shop there unless absolutely necessary.

We got the same flyer about fabric being back - our Walmart always had fabric - however, two others in the area do not. Maybe the other two stores will bring it back?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Fabric is back in the Hamburg, NY store. Most of it looks pretty much like it did several years ago. "Calico Wall" everyday prints including VIP, Springs, and Fabric Traditions. The price now is $5.47 (or something like that).

They also had some lower-priced fabrics which were (predictably) awful. Those were no-name fabrics. Better to buy the name brands!

My local store (also in Florida) is not getting them back either. I've called them numerous time but the answer is still "NO".

Our walmart now has their fabric bundles on sale for five dollars thats for two yards of precut. I guess they are getting rid of those here too,

Blog Entries
    Ours in Lake City, FL has fabric now. What they had when I was there looked very nice.

Thank You! I do shop there also, but like you...as the last resort. The sewing factory where I worked & supported my family for 20 years, closed (early 80's) because the clothes we made for Walmart, were now being made overseas. 60% business lost, 100% (over 350!) jobs lost.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellageo
    Thank You! I do shop there also, but like you...as the last resort. The sewing factory where I worked & supported my family for 20 years, closed (early 80's) because the clothes we made for Walmart, were now being made overseas. 60% business lost, 100% (over 350!) jobs lost.
    Ellageo, I sympathize with you! It's not just something that's happening here in the US.

When our Cranston sales rep came by he told us that it's the same thing in Brazil; for less than the cost of the fabric, they could import shirts from China, that are ready-made, packaged, and come with a matching tie. (The rep is fluent in English, Portugese and Spanish, so he is Cranston's salesperson of choice to South America and other Spanish-speaking countries.)

Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of mom and pop stores. I grew up in a rural area with very few stores close by. The only choices we had were what the store owners wanted to stock and they stocked only what they knew would sell. Nothing new ever made it to the shelves. I like big discount stores.

Blog Entries
    [/quote]The fabric dept manager is the one that orders from Walmart warehouse what to have in the fabric dept. I've seen the fabric/quilting/notion book what Walmart stocks in the warehouses. The fabric manager can order any of it. For that dept manager to act ignorant about it doesn't fly with me. I say show me in the order book where you don't have it available to order and I'll personally get in touch with the dist. manager to ask why you can't order it when the other Walmarts have it.[/quote]

I bought beautiful fabrics from a Walmart in Maine and the fabric dept manager cut it for me. That fabric dept was huge (can't remember where it was, sorry). The young lady took such pride in telling me that the district fabric warehouse person called her with some "nice cottons" she needed to move. This young lady had her send 600 bolts. She had sold most of them and they must have been wonderful because what was left was great and really inexpensive. That fabric manager was contacted because she took pride in her department and clearly made customer service a priority. She has to be making an impact on that Walmart's bottom line. Sadly, they'll probably promote her~

Blog Entries
    The work force in China is getting smarter. Many are demanding higher wages and getting them. The manufacturers have no choice but to pay! Isn't this how the unions came about here? History will repeat, it's one big cycle.

A W-Mart close to where I live is remodeling/expanding. They moved their fabric dept up front close to the checkout stands and although they increased the physical size of the dept. they only have about half the fabric they used to have. Looks like there is probably twice the amount of yarn they used to have and a lot more silk flowers, the cake decorating supplies look to have grown, too. Sure looks nice - nice wide aisles, etc, but not nearly the fabric selection they used to have. BUT, there is a Jo-Ann store right across the street that recently remodeled and increased their cotton selection - - - guess who is getting my $$$ (-'

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast