Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart price increase for fabric >

Walmart price increase for fabric

Walmart price increase for fabric

Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM

My girlfriend was at our local Walmart today and the woman working in the fabric area was pulling off all the bolts and raising the prices! yikes, its starting to happen, the price of cotton going up is becoming a reality??!!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 PM

I really can't understand why they have to put the price up on goods that are already in the store. They didn't pay the higher price for what's already there, so why should we have to?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM

I agree!!!!!!

Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
I really can't understand why they have to put the price up on goods that are already in the store. They didn't pay the higher price for what's already there, so why should we have to?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

True, we knew this would be the likelihood, though. Make every buck where you can.:evil:
And you just watch, a couple years from now, when there is a MUCH better/abundant cotton market, the prices will not drop accordingly. Betcha.

Jan in VA, finding it hard not to be personally pi---- at this situation!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM

All stores do this.

I went into "my" walmart today and hunted for $2 fabric today. I found about 6 of them and bought a couple of yards of 4 of them. $2.47 seems to be the new lowest price, except for the $1.50 poly/cotton.

They were getting in some really cute fabrics, but they weren't priced and on the shelf yet.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM

even more incentive to use up my stash. i've always said i could quilt for at least 2 years and only have to buy batting and thread - literally!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
even more incentive to use up my stash. i've always said i could quilt for at least 2 years and only have to buy batting and thread - literally!!!
yes, but that cotton batting and thread is going up as well!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
True, we knew this would be the likelihood, though. Make every buck where you can.:evil:
And you just watch, a couple years from now, when there is a MUCH better/abundant cotton market, the prices will not drop accordingly. Betcha.

Jan in VA, finding it hard not to be personally pi---- at this situation!
just like the gas prices....no reason for them go up, but they do because WE keep paying for it....they will never go down....

and you are right, if people continue to buy fabric at the NEW high prices, the prices will NOT go back down!
you are also right that it is morally wrong to raise prices on goods you already have in stock...

ON that merit alone I would STOP buying fabric at any store that is doing that! Thankfully I have no fabric in my WM and I rarely bought from there anyway!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM

It's possible that they did pay more for what's already in stock but kept the prices the same for a while. I know Moda tried to hold their prices but they just couldn't absorb it anymore. I only buy their precuts, but they went back and raised prices on their in-stock items and the next batch of new ones has gone up even more.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 PM

I was at a Walmart on Shaw Ave, in Fresno, CA today, found some clearance cotton that was very pretty for a backing, $2.99 yard. I got 4 yards but the roll had two pieces on it. The cheerful clerk asked which one I wanted and without me asking, she measured both. She asked if would be alright to get the 3 yard piece and a 1 yard piece, or did I have another idea? I was so charmed with her cheerfulness that I agreed that the 1 extra yard off the other would be nice enough.
Really a very pleasant visit, even though I was tired and hungry and prepared to be cranky, but left that store with a good feeling.
Too bad other stores don't have ladies like that in their fabric shops.