Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE! >

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Wow people! The negativity on this board really overwhelms me sometimes. We are all quilters and we all know good quilting fabric from bad. We are all aware that Walmart has put some low quality fabrics out on the shelves in the past few months. We certainly didn't need scores of you to tell us what we already know. My guess is that when WM finally decided that fabrics needed to be put back on the shelves, that they probably didn't have any real sound links to getting it there as fast as they wanted to and so bought the fabrics they could get in the meantime. More and more fabric is coming into the stores now and it all appears to be good quality fabric. No one is trying to twist your arms to shop there but for heavens sake...live and let live.

I'm thrilled to see the fabrics online! I live more than three hours from a Walmart because I live so rural. Online shopping is pretty much it for me, for the most part. Would I make an heirloom quilt from Walmart fabric, probably not but my goodness, it has always been perfectly fine for charity quilts, baby wraps and the occasional table runner or wall hanging. I'm gonna shop there and if you don't want to...that's perfectly fine with me. Sheesh!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply they sold only bad fabric. I buy a good bit of my fabric there, but like some others have said I prefer to actually touch the fabric first. It is just that I bought online from other sources and the fabric was less than desirable for what I needed it for. They do have some lovely fabric and the quality is comperable to what I buy at JoAnne's so I apologize if I gave a mistaken impression. Unless I want to drive to a neighboring town Wal Mart is my best source for fabric. I try not to make special trips to nearby towns unless I know I have to go to more than one place.
My comments were just made as observations so if I offended again I apologize.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03
I agree - the walmarts where they do have a fabric section they have decent material. the stores where they don't they put a lot of the precuts in and I haven't seen any that I really like either by color/pattern or quality.
It's absolutely best when they have BTY. It's so much easier to check out the quality of the fabric. I have purchased fabric from Walmart and have really liked it, but then I only bought ones that were the good quality and not the thin stuff. ;) You just have to be careful in your selection. 8-)
Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 PM

I go to two different Wal-Mart stores that carry fabric and have found they have some cotton fabrics that are much better quality than some that Hobby-Lobby carries. I have gotten some very pretty, nice quality cotton fabric at these Wal-Marts.

Windsong
Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
Be aware that the manufacturers make various grades, and last I knew WalMart got the CHEAPEST--this from an ex-employee who worked there for years. For example, *#*# makes 3 grades, etc. of the same print line.
Two years ago I called manufacturers about this issue and 100 % of the persons to whom I talk denied that they made different fabric for WalMart. They said the company name was on the fabric wherever it was sold and they couldn't afford to risk their company name. There are, of course, different grades of fabric, but those different grades go to a variety of retailers including WalMart. The companies I called are all well-known, reputable fabric companies. I learned a lot about fabric printing, surface finishing, thread count, etc. in my Internet and telephone rambles around the country to fabric companies, some of which were companies that deal only with quilt shops.

One question that was not satisfactorily answered by the companies that deal exclusively with quilt shops was what they do with fabric that is misprinted or flawed in some other way. If you happen to have an answer, please let the rest of us know. I don't believe they would just take it to the dumpster!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I can't believe it! They really are selling fabrics online. So far they have 2yd precuts, lots of kits for aprons, baby quilts, soft baby books, precut yo-yos and more. They even have fleece and some cotton pieces in 60"-1 1/2 yd cuts. Check it out...put crafts in the Walmart search bar!
I just ordered some of this fabric and will let you know about the quality. I have seen two of the prints in quilt shops and it will be interesting to see whether they are the same quality. froggyintexas
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Don't think I'd trust Walmart fabric online. I've always had to be very careful selecting their fabric, some thin, weak colors, patterns offset, etc. In the store, you can feel and see the fabrics, then judge whether its really a bargain or not.
Be patient, the bolts are scheduled to return by July-August, according to the Wall Street Journal article. Seems when the quilters couldn't buy fabric on the bolt, they decided they wouldn't buy anything else at Walmart. WE"VE GOT THE POWER
Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 PM

The fabric with the blue birds and pears, grapes, apples is the fabric my quilt is made of. It is silky smooth 100% cotton and has an 18" repeat. That particular fabric is LQS quality.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer
The fabric with the blue birds and pears, grapes, apples is the fabric my quilt is made of. It is silky smooth 100% cotton and has an 18" repeat. That particular fabric is LQS quality.
This sounds beautiful!! Do you have a link to it on Walmarts site?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM

NO, we all don't know about fabric quality as a lot of people on this board are very new quilters. I made the mistake of purchasing quite a bit of fabric from Walmart before I learned the difference in quality...and before I joined this board. That is what this board is for.....to hear different opinions from everyone, everywhere across the country about varying topics. Quality of fabric affects cutting, sewing, etc. and usually the cost of a fabric denotes quality....but not always. As mentioned, Walmart does carry some quality fabric at discounted rates. One oriental fabric at my Walmart is $3.00 less a yard than the same fabric at a "quilting" shop.