Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WaMart >

WaMart

WaMart

Old 05-26-2011, 03:15 AM

Gee, it would have been nice if I had given you the number

1-800-925-6278
Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 AM

I was told by a manager that it will be 2-3 months before the fabric will be here.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 AM

in iowa city iowa we just got a super walmart we have a nice fabric department
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 AM

in iowa city iowa we just got a super walmart we have a nice fabric department
Old 05-26-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by jshorty
Awhile back someone posted an article from Wall Street Journal stating that WalMart will be putting back fabric depts starting May 1st. I live in Las Vegas & have been to 6 different Super WalMart & non have put in fabric. I did find a small older store that had a few bolts but found they were the same price as JoAnn's. I just returned from San Antonio, Tx and they never got rid of their fabric in the first place. Does anyone have anymore info on this?
That was me jshorty. The other comments were right on the mark. They will replace fabric when the store is up for remodeling. Mine just remodeled but we never lost our fabric. They did move it from one end to the other. Now it's in line with groceries, pet food and candy. It's not set up like a department. Just row after row. They took out the big, old two sided cutting table which was usually piled high with fabric to restock and odd boxes. Now they have a one side cutting table about 4' x 5'. Don't remember seeing the pattern drawers either. Think they designed it after the Hobby Lobby which is about a mile away. It's about 1/3 the size it used to be and there isn't a clerk on duty there. You have to ring for help and God knows who you will get. Most of them don't know more than how to squeeze scissors. And if you get a man, joke,joke,joke. He can't even FIND the scissors.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 AM

The WalMart in my town (Ohio) has kept their fabric section. I asked a clerk if they were going to do away with it and she said no, because several people in the area had called WalMart headquarters and asked them not to!?!
The closest JoAnn's or LQS is at least a 20 minute drive away, so I think headquarters may have taken that into account when they decided to keep it open.
I guess calling WalMart's headquarters would be a good way to get the "scoop" or beg to have the fabric section reinstated!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 AM

Our store in Denison, Tx was given the word this last week that it would not be going away as planned. In fact, it will be almost doubleing in size. Our store already has a great selection and pretty good prices. I sometimes can find the same fabric at Walmart as at Joanns for less. I am just thrilled. The Sherman store, about 10 minutes down the same hwy 75 will be remodeling to put theirs back in. YEA!! The manager said it would be going back into 2000 stores.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by jshorty
Awhile back someone posted an article from Wall Street Journal stating that WalMart will be putting back fabric depts starting May 1st. I live in Las Vegas & have been to 6 different Super WalMart & non have put in fabric. I did find a small older store that had a few bolts but found they were the same price as JoAnn's. I just returned from San Antonio, Tx and they never got rid of their fabric in the first place. Does anyone have anymore info on this?
I talked to Customer Service yesterday and I told them I had heard they were going to have a fab department again and they said that they were slowly bringing it back, albeit smaller and packaged fabric - God help the person that needs two yards and there is only one packaged yard - and that it should be in place by this coming fall! That's what she said. I don't like our St. Paul store so I would probably go to West St. Paul for my fabric or at least to see what they will be having. Edie
Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM

Our WalMart has started to add some things back in, but I have yet to see thread or any other type of notions. There are a few packaged fabrics, but I like to feel the fabric. It would be very convenient for me if they were to enlarge the fabric dept, but I have a feeling they think this package stuff is going to work for folks. Personally I will travel the 30mins to JoAnns or Hobby Lobby, to get what I need if all WalMart sells is packaged fabrics. WalMart is just a few minutes away, which would be nice if they would reopen the fabric dept the way it was before.

I think they will soon discover that adding just a bit of sewing items is not what we were asking for.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Our local Wal-Mart in Bluefield, Va., says they have not been contacted yet but "will check on it." I hope they put it back in ours!