Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wandering Fabric When Sewing >

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Sometimes I seem to have the same problem with my Babylock. I just put on my quilting gloves (actually, garden gloves with latex fingers). They hold the fabric nice and steady, plus I use a large seam ripper for a stilleto to guide the fabric.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM

My 2cents....I also have the Brother QC 1000. I have never had a problem with it at all. I can honestly say it is my dream machine come true!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
I have a low-end brother that I bought at Wal-mart. It swims too. I always thought it was me until I got my Janome a few years ago. I was astounded to find that my Janome "wants" to sew straight and my Brother just doesn't. My stitching dramatically improved with the different sewing machine. Last year I got a used Viking Husqvarna and it is somewhere in between the two. Not steady like the Janome, but easy to get off-track if I am not paying close attention. And all the time with the Brother, I thought it was just me and my lack of skill.
Try a couple strips of blue painters tape across in front of the throat plate to act as 'skidgrip'. I just tried to do a small FMQ on my Brother 650Q, and the 'slippery' makes FMQ real easy. I just wish my FMQ were smooth and perfect on the first try, but no luck...
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by cindit
I bought a used high end Elna and it "swam" so bad, I immediately took it in for repair. $300 later, I don't think it's that much better. I use my 1956 Singer 99K for my piecing and LOVE it. I've heard that the newer machines don't push the fabric through like the old ones.
Go to the Elna website and look up by model number for tips and to see what might be causing the problems. I have 3 Elnas (mid range, high range quilting machine, and an embrodery machine) Sometimes the person working on them loosed the tension/pressure foot pressure and there's a simple fix. Just love my three. They are out of my house until my roof is fixed.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
You should try increassing the pressure of your presser feet.
or is it possible your feed dogs are down?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM

Can you please tell me the name of the quilt pattern of your Avatar? I think it is absolutely beautiful and I am just about ready to start a quilt for my sister and would love to make this.
I live in Adelaide, Australia so I may have to purchase it online. Thanks very much for your help...in anticipation!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 PM

When I saw your post I got excited as I thought I would finally get the answer to my problem. I seem to always be fighting the machine to stay straight. It is like trying to keep a car on the road that constanly pulls to the side. I don't think mine is the machine as it is like that on everyone I have tried. My SIL who is very good watched me on her and she does not understand it. She does not know what I am doing wrong I have used a seam guide, a pc of tape, a quarter in foot lining it up it the begining of the bed and not wait till the needle looking ahead looking behind not looking at all It is the same
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 PM

Ok everyone. For me, slightly increasing the tension, using the N foot, and moving my needle all the way to the right seems to help. I moved my painters tape over, and so far, my seams are 1/4". Of course we will see when I actually try piecing later. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
You should try increassing the pressure of your presser feet.
How do you increase the pressure on your presser foot?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM

On my Brothers, I have a dial on the front of my machine with numbers. The higher the number, the more pressure....