Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wandering Fabric When Sewing >

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM

BLESS YOU for asking!!!!! I also thought it was me, I have the Brother Wal-Mart brand. LOve the machine but mine drifts badly even pinning and paying extremely close attention doesn't help. I figured since I couldn't draw a straight line I couldn't sew one either, just me! I think it's time to get Moms old Singer out and see what it's like. I just had it cleaned and serviced and was told it was in great condition so I'll try it tonight!!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM

One problem with the portable machines, even with the "quilting table extension" is that the weight of the fabric pulls against you sewing a straight line.

With a flush to the table set up, the fabric is supported by the table and you can more easily slide the fabric rather than pull it through the machine.

I love my Brother CS6000i, but it needs to be repaired from so much "pulling"by the weight of the fabric to the left and back, toward my lap. The needle arm is actually curved now, instead of straight! I made just over 100 denim quilts, 3 Crazy Quilts and 5 Project Linus quilts in the 3 years that I've owned the Brother CS 6000i.

At $159. for a new one, I can't see spending $120. minimum to service/repair it.

I am back to the 1970s Singer Stylist that inherited from a neighbor.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 AM

My machine does that too---and people on here have suggested starching the material first--so i am going to try that.Also pin every few inches--that helps a lot.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 AM

I am so glad you brought this up... yep, I thought it was me or that I got a lemon Bernina.... at least now, I know where to start looking to solve the problem. BTW, I love my Bernina and don't think it's the machine's fault. ;-)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 AM

I think the problem, at least partly, is how loose the feet are. The feet on my Brother tend to swivel left and right, but the feet on my Pfaff are firm. Also, the location of the 1/4" marks on the brother are not located where I can easily see them so I tend to move the feeding fabric to the right, which in turn makes the leading fabric move left. I'm going to try marking the quarter inch line with painter's tape like someone else on the board does.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 AM

I just emailed brother about adjusting the pressure on the feed dogs for my cs6000i we will see what they say i really do think this is the problem because they are very low and even with my walking foot in my fabric still goes to the left
Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dasmith2
I have the same problem. I also have a Brother. I have foam tape as my 1/4 in guide, so I put my fabric right up against it but it always have to hold my hand on the fabric to keep it from veering left. Its annoying, and I also thought it was my lack of skill
Sounds like my car...does it need an alignment? LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM

I have a baby lock ellisomo, and I don't topstitch or stitch in the ditch with it because of the same problem. I do these stitches on my Singer featherweight.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
You should try increassing the pressure of your presser feet.
I agree-pressure control needs adjusting--find it in your machine manual. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Theresa
Ohhhh my gosh! It IS the feeddog! I increased the pressure first by 1 point and noticed a slight difference. Increased another point and YES it is soooo much better. THANK YOU for all your suggestions but this one get a "GOLD STAR"!!! :-)
How did you adjust them?