Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wandering Fabric When Sewing >

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
so how do you increase pressure? there is nothing in my manual on this!?
It probably depends on which model you have. Check the website for Brother. If that doesn't help, contact them.

I am such a happy camper now!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 PM

I have 2 Brothers and neither has given me problems with sliding fabric. just lucky here I guess.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Theresa
I have a brother cs6000i and am happy to now know that it isnt my fault I am crooked!!!! mine glides to the left constantly and it drives me nuts someone suggested mole skin but I have yet to make it to the store to buy some
EXACTLY! It's enough to drive me crazy. Some good solutions are posted. Yahoo! The only think I don't believe will help is the pinning every inch. It doesn't prevent "swimming"...for lack of a better word.
I have the same Brother machine and same problem. I didn't think it was the machine (love it otherwise) I just thought it was me. I keep calling myself a beginner because I have problems with a simple 1/4" seam sometimes... :shock:
Old 08-31-2011, 04:30 AM

Glad you posed the question, I've had the same problem on different machines and sometimes increasing the presser foot pressure works and sometimes it doesn't. My 1/4 inch seam is seldom right unless I am pulling it against the guide. Thanks for the ideas to try.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 AM

I have a Brother ULT 2001 and I don't have a problem at all with what they are calling swimming but I call it slipping lol
Just putting in my two cents worth Cause I don't think Brother should be getting a bad name thats all
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 AM

I bought a used high end Elna and it "swam" so bad, I immediately took it in for repair. $300 later, I don't think it's that much better. I use my 1956 Singer 99K for my piecing and LOVE it. I've heard that the newer machines don't push the fabric through like the old ones.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by darlenedowns
I have a Brother ULT 2001 and I don't have a problem at all with what they are calling swimming but I call it slipping lol
Just putting in my two cents worth Cause I don't think Brother should be getting a bad name thats all
I don't mean to give Brother a bad name. I LOVE my QC 1000, but if this thread helped people who fight to keep their fabric from veering left, it sure was worth the post and getting the great responses. I plan to sew the day away today and not fight the fabric! YAHOO!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
Increase the pressure on your presser foot. It could be moving because the presser foot is not holding it securely. If the foot is tight enough it should not be able to move no matter how slippery your bed is.
I agree with Barb44 - on the pressure - the other thing you could try is a different foot. I find that my lightweight Brother CSI600 has this problem with the 1/4 foot if I am not careful but with other feet it does not.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 AM

so how do you increase pressure? there is nothing in my manual on this!?
My manual doesn't explain either, I have a Sears machine that sews great, but the fabric wanders too. Not an electronic, but an older model. How do I fix the feed dogs and increase the pressure?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 AM

Soooo glad to hear others say this. I am having the same problem. I thought it was me, but I've been sewing as long as I can remember.