Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ? >

Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ?

Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM

I am a Baby lock fan. Jus saying... . Good luck. I recommend you going to a local dealer and trying them out.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Like others have said, make a list of options you know you want and then research multiple makers online. If you have a dealer close by, you might want to consider buying locally for warranty work if needed. Also, think about cost of things like the optional feet. I know that Bernina feet are very expensive. I recently sewed on my friend's Bernina and really didn't like it. She has since given it away because she didn't like it either.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Straight stitch Brother 1500s. Workhorse, quilts well. Always had problems quilting with my expensive Sapphire 870 - not with the Brother. Can clean and easily oil it yourself, so you don't need to pay someone else to do that if money matters.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 AM

My favorite features are - needle up/down, automatic threader and cutter, and automatic pivot feature. This allows you to come right up on a pin - the pressure foot raises automatically when you stop sewing - remove the pin (or adjust the fabric) - and the foot lowers again when you give it power. I would not be without this feature. The Babylocks and Brothers have this at the most reasonable prices.

Additionally, I prefer to have a nice blanket stitch, as I love to do appliqué.

Now, if they would just add the IDT system (no need to use a walking foot), they would have every feature a quilter would ever need....(this made Pfaff famous).

Goot luck with your decision. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Try for a used Janome 6600. Call Brubakerssewing.com and ask for Amy. She may have one, or put you on a list.
I don't work for them.....but I have purchased three machines from them. Many times your dealers have great sales on machines that they take to quilt shows. You may have more responses if you list a price range and specifications you are looking for. I own the Janome 6600 and 8900, love them both.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM

I have had pfaff for a very long time and love it. I tried a Viking and went back to my pfaff. I have a sensation.
The pfaff machine has the built in walking foot and i would not be with out it. I sold machines and every one has their favorite. the only thing to do is try each one. BIT MOST OF LOOK FOR THE SERVICE AFTER THE SALE. No matter what machine you have service after the sale is the most important.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM

Must oof been the spelling elf that made me mis spell so many words. SORRY. And i tell my grandaughter to check her homework twice.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM

I think that every quilter has likes and dislikes for one sewing machine or another. I would try any sewing center that is local to your location, as repair/maintenance is important. To box a machine and ship it off to a stranger for servicing does not make me comfortable. Try out all their machines, check out the used machines. Your purchase will be with you for a long time - maybe 10-20 years (my Janome 10000is 13 years old). The bells and whistle that I would not do without is needle up and down buttons, auto tie and cut off button, large harp (or throat) at least 10", and a dealer/repair agent within doable driving distance. It does help to buy from a dealer that offers lessons. If you find a machine that you love and it is a bit costly, negotiate with the dealer, look for it on craigslist, and ebay for a price to be knowledgeable about negotiating a good deal. I think it is well worth some $$ to buy local.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM

Kimberly,
You say that you're having trouble with your old White, have you cleaned and oiled it lately? Changed the needle?

I have 2 older(30-22yrs old) Berninas, the 930 and 1031. They are mechanical machines, never had any problems with them. I also have a Pfaff 1222E, another great machine; most of the machines sold today can be fussy. I used to sell new machines, just don't like them as well as what I sew with now.

I much prefer older machines that have all metal innards. I do most of my sewing/quilting on a treadle and just love the quality of these older machines.
Sharon in Texas
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 AM

Make a list of things you want in your machine then find all the brands that have those things go try them out and find the machine that you can use and not be afraid of because if you are scared to use the things the machine has to offer the machine is not good for youno matter the brand some machines can be very easy and some or not