Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wanted: Fun ideas for quilt retreats

We have done a "strip bingo". Every one brings in several 2 1/2 in. strips which are put {1 per game} into a pile in the middle of a table. Person who wins the game gets the pile. Our bingo game was made up of sewing/quilting terms in each square such as...binding,rotary cutter,selvedge,rulers,etc. Have fun!

I have been to several retreats. Here are my suggestions:

Skip the games. Especially if they are physical. There are a lot of older women at the retreats I go to that can't do physical games and felt left out.

Show and Tell. Have everyone bring one of their projects and show off. I think it is one of the best parts of the retreat.

White Elephant exchange. Everyone brings some unwanted quilting supplies in a package of some sort. Then whoever draws #1 picks a package and opens it. #2 can either pick one out of the pile or take #1. A package can trade hands 3 times then it is dead. It can be a lot of fun.

Seret Pals. Bring a bag of small items to shower on your secret pal. Drop them off on her sewing machine several times during the retreat then everyone meets their secret pal at the end.

Plenty of time for sewing. The ladies who put on the retreat are always walking around talking or helping with questions.

Make sure there is a lot of coffee and drinks and TP. My last retreat we ran out of TP. With 30 women drinking coffee that was a disaster.

Have fun. Even if you just sew and talk and eat you will have a good time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I have been saving some ideas, let me find some of them and will post for you.

Some Ideas from these links that I have been saving:

Quilting Board Retreats Ideas:

Creating Tips Etc. on my Blog: http://quiltinglibraryworldwide.blog...g-retreat.html

1. Check List What to bring: http://www.besewcreative.com/What%20...0Checklist.pdf

Games:
    1. http://www.quiltguilds.com/games.htm
    2. Word Search: Craftybear created http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51603-1.htm

Other Ideas & Tips:
    1. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-1463-1.htm
    2. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-47023-1.htm
    3. http://creabunda.typepad.com/quilter...retreat_ideas/
    craftybear-- I have a whole page with just your stuff I save-- thank you - thank you - thank you for all your info you share :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    These are great ideas. Thanks for posting them!
    Glad you saw these, you may wanna bring some games. YOu knwo the ones I have planned. LOL. So many wonderful ideas. Thank you for this post.♥♥

Thank you Ladies. My guild is having a retreat in October. This will be a second time around for us. So very much fun.
    I am on the committee and you'll have given some great ideas. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    These are great ideas. Thanks for posting them!
    Glad you saw these, you may wanna bring some games. You know the ones I have planned. LOL. So many wonderful ideas. Thank you for this post.♥♥
    This has helped me understand the ones you have planned and I am getting the supplies I need to make a few more for you. I'm sure we can come up with "prizes" too!!!

My LQS when I lived in California has had mystery quilts complete with a murder mystery, where most of us had a part. They also did a "spa" retreat at the quilt shop.

I know the guild I belonged to in California has members offer classes in their specialties, like mini-seminars. The new one I belong to in Las Vegas is having an mystery quilt option as well as just a sew-in. They also booked a one day long-arm class somewhere near the hotel (that had limited seating).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lacikat
    I am making each person one of the canning jar pincushions and giving them a small notepad and pen with the challenge to write something complimentary about each person and put it in that person's canning jar. We have a small group, usually 10-12, at a bed and breakfast so meals are provided. We take snacks and donate items for drawings that we have thru out the weekend. This year we were given a fabric square when we signed up with instructions for making a block which there will be a drawing for and someone will win all the blocks.
    I like your idea!

First night... each guest writes down all of his/her fears and trepidations about quilting. Place them in a small paper bag. Build a camp fire, fire in fire place or open one large trash bag. Add the small paper bags.

I'm the coordinator of our annual TOGA - Treadle On Gathering & Academy, and I'm LOVING these ideas! Every year we do a raffle (people bring things to donate), and an ugly fabric swap (to get rid of your hideous stash, we pull names and those pulled first gets to pick first). We're also doing a theme this year - it's in Blue Ball, Pennsylvania, so our theme is "Blue" (blue quilt block swap, blue food, drink, decorations, etc.). Just a few ideas... How about everyone brings a fun hat to wear? We also do a lot of demos & classes, and have an 'afternoon tea' the day before.

Our Guild organizes a quilt retreat every year, we work on our projects and usually work on a common quilt that will be raffled at our next show for a couple of hours, We are divided in teams for the meals,the team that prepares Saturday night supper prepares a meal with a theme, Polish, Caribbean, Cajun, we are given the recipes and it help us to know each other better. It is also a way to put in evidence new members or the discreet girl!

I'm a fuddy dudd...haven't enjoyed any of the silly games played at quilt retreats, especially the ones involving fabric. My mom and I both take good fabric cut to the correct dimensions and almost always come home with junk fabric cut poorly. We go to retreats to relax, sew and learn. The best thing we have seen non-sewing wise so far - a huge snack table where everyone just put out whatever! We have done some great classes where the purpose is to start the project and learn a new skill, then take it home to finish it and we have done one really nice mystery quilt. I prefer an open area with the ability to smooze at one's leisure, not forced interactive games.

Blog Entries
    I went to a camp in MI and everyone had to bring 5" charms...that year the theme was polka dots. We had to bring as many squares as there were people. The leader took all our charms and sorted them so that we all went home with an assortment. I think there were 60 in our group, so now I have 60 polka dotted charms...and strangely enough, there were only 2 repeats!!!

Strip poker - everyone brings fabric strips and plays cards to see who can win the whole pile!

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I have a puzzle table with a quilt-themed puzzle for any one to work on when she needs a rest.

Everyone is asked to bring a used, unwanted magazine, one FQ, and one small tool or notion. I bring extras and put together gift bags for everyone to take home. (I buy gift bags at the $ store.)

We do one small project and everyone brings one or two UFO's to work on. We have time for show and tell.

we swapped walmart bags full of scraps we were tired of. I found some potholders with turkeys on them at a yard sale and since it was close to Thanksgiving, I gave everyone a potholder or two.

What great idea! Thanks to everyone for sharing!

thanks I've been toying with this idea. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    do you know the dice game "Left, Right, Center"
    Played with fat quarters. If you throw dice and L comes up you pass a fat quarter to the one on left, or Right or put one in center.
    Can get the game at toy stores, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.
    Last one with a fat quarter wins all in the center.
    I played this at a Quilting Camp last year and it was so much fun with lots of laughter. Our instructor gave each lady 3 fat quarters to begin with and with 15 of us playing the winner at the end of the game would end up with 45 FQ's. During the 5 days of camp we played it 7-8 times. The FQ fabric was beautiful too.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    I like the idea of a little auction, everyone could bring something they no longer wanted and auction it off, or a swap fo some sort! That would be cool!
    I attended a retreat, and we brought a "spare" or unused gadget (that is useful and not just unwanted junk) and then put them all together, had times where our names would get picked out of a small bucket, and you get a "freebie" to take home.....

at our retreat 2 yrs ago, there was a "murder" LOL... Someone (or a few) apparently got the hotel staff to let them into the room after everyone had gone to bed. Then next morning, there was the outline of a body in masking tape, things in the room were askew, and there was yellow caution tape in the doorway... to this day, we still do not know who the responsible party (ies) were... but it gets brought up and laughed about every time retreat is mentioned at a meeting ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2