Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about cones of thread

Warning about cones of thread

Hi, I had a cone of thread sitting on my sewing table. It was sitting on the cone holder. Some how the thread got caught around the fly wheel of my Brother 1500. As I sew the thread was winding off and wraping around the drive shaft. It cracked the plastic hand wheel cover. My dealer has told me that the part can't be replaced unless the whole drive shaft is replaced. So if you use cones be sure not to leave one on the sewing table. Lucky for me the Brother is still working and the thread didn't get into the machine.

Blog Entries
    wow, the things we need to pay attention to
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I did the exact same thing .. some how ..maybe static .. and it wrapped around the underneath of the wheel. It was a repair bill I wish I could have avoided. Now I put my cones a good distance from the machine.
    Sorry this happened to you.

Blog Entries
    This was a cone that you weren't using in your Brother? It was just sitting there?

Yes the cone wasn't in use. I do a lot of sewing repairs so I change out threads often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    This was a cone that you weren't using in your Brother? It was just sitting there?

Blog Entries
    Ooh okay, I'll make sure to keep all my threads someplace else. Yikes!

Sorry to hear that it happened to you. My cones are away from the table now. Lesson learnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I did the exact same thing .. some how ..maybe static .. and it wrapped around the underneath of the wheel. It was a repair bill I wish I could have avoided. Now I put my cones a good distance from the machine.
    Sorry this happened to you.

I should also mention that the amount of thread that broke the plastic wheel was less that a bobbin full of thread!

Yikes!! What an awful thing to happen!! I saw something like this happen to someone at a workshop at Sisters several years ago and I have been very careful ever since.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow...sorry to hear that. I leave a cone out next to my machine all the time, but it is about 10" away and I always put the end UNDER the cone so I know where it is!

I have done the same thing with my spinning wheel, many times. Fortunately it is a diy fix there!
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    Some of the threads are very strong. Thanks for the warning!

Thanks for the warning. I would not have thought of this!

Blog Entries
    I have the exact machine and Yes! this happened to me. I left a spool of thread on the spindle to fill bobbins. I noticed that thread on the spool was winding and I thought that's odd. I realized it was going right to the fly wheel. It was a full spool of Aurifil and it was half gone. I started unwinding the thread but after 20 min. I was bored with that taking it slow so the thread wouldn't break. I took the housing off my machine and cut the rest off the shaft. It wasn't hard to get the thread out. I'm glad it wrapped in a spot that didn't cause the machine to bog down. Also the at little space where the reverse lever is? Well a pin got in that hole somehow and fell to the bottom and stopped the gear from turning. I took the machine apart and there was the yellow flat head pin stuck right in the gear. I took it out and the machine worked just as before. I don't have any fear at all about taking this machine apart. I have saved a small fortune finding the problems myself.
    Got fabric?

Wow you are braver than me! I also see a crack in the reverse lever. I am going to glue that as I bet its the same deal about replacement. I love that Brother and sure couldn't do the stuff I do without it.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have the exact machine and Yes! this happened to me. I left a spool of thread on the spindle to fill bobbins. I noticed that thread on the spool was winding and I thought that's odd. I realized it was going right to the fly wheel. It was a full spool of Aurifil and it was half gone. I started unwinding the thread but after 20 min. I was bored with that taking it slow so the thread wouldn't break. I took the housing off my machine and cut the rest off the shaft. It wasn't hard to get the thread out. I'm glad it wrapped in a spot that didn't cause the machine to bog down. Also the at little space where the reverse lever is? Well a pin got in that hole somehow and fell to the bottom and stopped the gear from turning. I took the machine apart and there was the yellow flat head pin stuck right in the gear. I took it out and the machine worked just as before. I don't have any fear at all about taking this machine apart. I have saved a small fortune finding the problems myself.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for heads up!!

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your tragedy. But thank you for sharing...I use the large cones a lot and seldom pay attention to where they are placed...I will definetely be checking often and making sure nothing like that happens.
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Wow, who knew?? Thanks for the heads up. I leave my cones by the machine all the time. Guess I've just been lucky. You can bet I'll be moving them!
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Just curious. Do you piece and sew with the cone thread made for serging or are you talking about some other kind of cone? I worked for a Bernina dealer who made her bread and butter by doing custom dressmaking and alterations. We never used cone thread meant for a serger with the machines in the shop. I know that they now make cone thread for longarm machines but it is not the same as serger thread. I purchased one of those little machines to wind bobbins and I love it. I always hated to have to unthread my machine to fill a bobbin. I got the one made by a man in Floridia. It is not only very useful but I kept the money here in the good old USA.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

The cone was a regular poly cotton I had been using in some custom sewing. It works with all my machines including the serger. I guess that any cone or spool could do the same thing it it get into the wheel where its not suppose to be. Note to self....clear the table more often. LOL

This happened to me too! It was the clear, monofiliment thread and I just didn't see it get wrapped around the handwheel.

I never even thought of something like this happening! Thanks for the warning. I really appreciate it.

Dina

Talking

I knew there was a reason I should pick up the top of my sewing machine table. Boy an I motivated now!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info! I have just used a cone of thread this weekend, but it is threaded on the machine. I hope that isn't a problem.

Blog Entries
    It happened to me with a cone of rayon embroidery thread. Luckily I saw it in time to get it out myself. Thanks to the surgical seam ripper I was able to get in there and get it out. I now make sure when I use a cone I put it BEHIND the machine and have the thread go between the 2 thread posts on my machine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast