Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning about Stack and Whack and other similar designs >

Warning about Stack and Whack and other similar designs

Warning about Stack and Whack and other similar designs

Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by oops
Haven't done stack and whack for a long time.
Got lots of pillow panels at a yard sale recently and wondered what to do with them as they are all the same.
Now I know I will use them for stack and whack .
Been busy making purses and ready to get back into some quilting. Panels should work out good with the big flowers.
Will look a lot better than just using the panels.Just couldn't pass up a bargain of all them for fifty cents.
What are "pillow panels"? I have an idea, but tell me please.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:42 PM

What a great idea! Love that!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
I think I'm the only one on the board that has no interest in them!
I don't know why they don't appeal to me.
You are not alone. I don't even know what they are. So I guess that makes 2 of us.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Not everyone loves the same kinds of quilts that is what makes quilting so great ... I certainly do not like a lot of the patterns ... I like them because they are what works for me. Just a short description for those of you who do not know what they are .... you take a large patterned fabric with a repeat of around 24", you need 6 repeats for a hexagon quilt and 8 repeats for an octagon, you cut up the fabric into the 6 or 8 repeats and then cut strips and then triangle and you make hexagons or octagons out of the triangles ... those are your blocks. Hmmm... now that I write this it doesn't sound as easy as it really is. ... the blocks are made to look you are looking at them through a kaleidoscope! (Thus, the name). The pictures here are the original fabric (on the back) and the octagon (Stack and Whack or OBW) on the front, just fyi

original fabric on the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106130[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106124.jpe   attachment-106125.jpe  
Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

You do realise by starting this thread even more of us are going to be drawn in to the vast web that is the Stack n Whack/One Block Wonder phenomenon.

I am reorganising my fabrics into a new shelving system and found myself putting "potentials" on a separate shelf...goodness knows what will happen to me once I actually do one!!!!

Lovely examples everyone has posted....Karen K...who could imagine that fabric could be worked into the amazing piece which is the front....Wow!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Oh, after all these replies I get it now, doesn't look that hard.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Earthwalker ... thank you so much for your kind words... but I have found that by choosing something that is odd and fun that it turns into something wonderful and it is my pull to these fun quilts! In our house we like to say "the uglier the better". Not that they are actually "ugly", but not something you can figure out what you would actually do with fabric that you love! My first one posted earlier is actually a bullfighter, flamenco dancer, and bull print that my husband loved, I thought was great but couldn't imagine being a quilt or anything else, but I totally love it!!! The blue quilt was a stack of asian print panels ... I could go on but you get the idea!!! Big is good, colors are most important in choosing!! Go for it. This addiction is not a bad thing!!! It is FABULOUS!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 PM

Wow, that is beautiful CircleSquare
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Karen, just wondering, how do you make your octagon into a square so that you can then join them all together? I don't see the joining panels on yours that I used on the OBW that I made. Thanks, hugs and smilessssss
Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Yea there should be a warning but would we pay attention to it?