Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-11-2011, 05:16 AM

Let's hope no minister of finance will ever read these remarks
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Vanessa, dear, I will only buy fabric when I have more money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hee Hee hee hee hee hee hee
Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 AM

I think She does protest to much, Me to.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 AM

The yahoo stashbuster group has a no buy challenge and a UFO challenge. Both of these might be helpful. The group is dedicated to using the stash you have. Lots of support and ideas....
Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 AM

I see from the stats on your Avatar you have only been posting here for about six or seven months ....

You've taken the first step in joining this board and posting

.... the second step in sorting and organizing .... and letting us know your angst ....

The third step is your having WIPs (works in progress) that you can whip up quickly and post here - You'll get instant positive feedback and get totally re-energized ....

(Although I have not gotten to step three just yet, but I KNOW that is what will happen - trust me)

THEN you are on your way! You will get so much more accomplished this year than last .....

Can't wait to see your projects in progress .... AND the finished projects ....

She's kidding folks ..... organizing your stack has its own rewards ..... do it! you won't really be sorry after all ...
Old 06-11-2011, 05:37 AM

I just spent the last 2 weeks orgainzing my stash. it is separated by color, batiks, blenders, holidays, etc. then we'll talk about the 16 drawers of fat quarters sorted by color, the project shelving unit with all the projects with fabric and patterns. then the 5 bookcases of books, sorted by what they are, applique, scrappy, log cabins, etc. my sister says that I could put a quilt shop to shame with my stash and all the tools and gagets.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 AM

Yea sure, how close are you to a quilt or Fabric shop????
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 AM

Yeah...right.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 AM

That feeling will pass soon enough. I am one of a group of about 12 women who belong to a charity quilting group. When someone decides they have too much fabric to justify buying any more, they bag up fabric and bring it to our group. Then it seems like Christmas has come again at our next meeting. It becomes hard to quash the frenzy. It will look like it's blue light special time. Some stay to watch the frenzy, and when they do, they enjoy watching a bunch of old ladies going crazy over their donations.

If you feel guilty about having too much fabric, load it up and take it to your local charity quilting group...then stop at your favorite quilt shop and buy without feeling guilty.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:08 AM

I love reading everyones replies, but, you know what? I don't feel guilty at all. How can something that gives me so much pleasure be wrong? OK, OK, strike that last comment, but seriously......if I stopped to have a beer every night after work, bought cigs, or didn't spend on anyone but myself I might feel guilty. But about buying fabric, no way. And I make so many people happy. I love that feeling.
I am a Bonnie Hunter fan and she has a method of organizing, and once I did that, I actually get more pleasure from my fabrics (I also machine quilt, and am addicted to sewing machines). So, I have my tubs of strings, 1 1/2", 2", & 2 1/2" strips, and I'm ready to sew at a moments notice. I, also have type cabinets that are long shallow drawers that are full of yards & under And since I started sewing with my Juki sewing machines, I have no desire for new sewing machines - thank goodness - that particular addiction got very expensive.
So, I will buy, but I have found I am very picky now!!!!!
Judi