Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning- That needle is really sharp!

Well, I was FMQ on a nice throw for son and his girlfriend...using my JukiTL98Q, which is pretty much an industrial machine....and my index finger got a bit to close the the needle...
    Long story short...yes, the needle is very sharp, and someone on the board said to use your own spit the remove blood from a quild...it works!
    Finger will be OK in a few days...so will the quilt...

Blog Entries
    Ouch!!!!! I am glad the quilt is ok...and you, too.

That hurts just reading about it. It could be one of those things that gets worse before it gets better. Hope it gets well soon.

I did the same thing only I sewed into my finger i was stuck to my machine I could not move thankfully my daughter called 911. Bad think I was in my jammies hair a mess and of course the most beautiful firemen 6 of them came to my rescue laughing the whole time.. so definatly be careful!!

:oops: The thing is that this isn't the 1st time that I have gotten caught by the needle...I think it's the 4th :oops: but this one wasn't as bad as the others.

I feel your pain...
    My index finger got bit today by my rotary cutter. Just sliced some skin, thank God. I heard the squeek of metal on the ruler and I knew I was in trouble. Needless to say, could have been a heck of alot worse. And SO glad that it wasn't...

Blog Entries
    Been there! Done That!

Blog Entries
    Si have I and I am thinking very hard about that Truecut system from Grace quilting that guards against cutting your fingers and guarantees straight line cutting. You need Machingers, the glove that protects your fingers from the machine.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    Si have I and I am thinking very hard about that Truecut system from Grace quilting that guards against cutting your fingers and guarantees straight line cutting. You need Machingers, the glove that protects your fingers from the machine.
    When I was a child (a loooooong time ago!) my mama put the machine needle right through her index finger at the base of the nail. With the needle stuck thru it, she drove herself to her doctor's office (a neighbor who knew us very well).

She walked into the office with her hand up in the air, he took one look at her finger and fainted dead away, LOL! I've had that picture in my mind for decades and have never gotten close enough myself -- YET! -- to get bitten. :?

Jan in VA

Ouch! My stomach did a flip flop when I read this. I hope it feels better soon.

Blog Entries
    Oooowwwww!! Just reading that I am tucking my fingers up tight without even thinking what I am doing. Sends shivers through me...

Did that! It's hard to remember how to remove a needle when you' re now attached to it.

I got my finger sewn when I was making my lone star quilt. so do be careful and yes the needle is sharp and mine missed the bone, but part of my finger tip is missing. Nothing got on the quilt so I was happy about that. Took a little over a week for it to start healing. I can feel it if I bump it still, but no real feeling in the tip as I can feel the cards when I play a game of solitare and such. Take care and have a great evening, Huggies, Fay

Blog Entries
    OUCH!!. My mother was sewing Christmas items for a church play and ended up with needle through her thumb nail. She screamed and by that time had dislodged her thumb. She took the pliers and pulled the needle out, then just sat down and CRIED!!!. She bandaged her thumb and went back to sewing! Makes me shiver just to think about it. Don't think I would have ever finished those bells.

Do hope your finger will get better very soon.

Blog Entries
    Now that's just scary! My mother told me a story about getting stuck at the sewing machine with the needle through her finger when she was a little girl. Apparently she had to wait for someone to come to the rescue, and it took awhile. Because of that story, I've been very careful, but my Juki 98 is waiting for me to make a mistake!

I remember as a little girl going into a five and dime store in my home town and not knowing what a stapler did. I put my finger in it and pressed. OMGosh, I didn't know how much a finger could bleed...LOL I am also the queen at sticking myself in the finger while hand sewing. Sometimes I think I must buy the sharpest needles they make. I have heard about people putting a sewing machine needle through their fingernail and finger. OUCH. Glad damage was minimal but it probably didn't feel that way.

Ooooo, ouchy, kissy, kissy.

I like to think of myself as multi-hobbied, not multi-talented. While working with a table saw, I accidentally (of course), put my thumb got too close to the blade and I ended up with a slice. Not a long slice, about 1", but those blades are not rotary cutters; i.e., in comparison, they're very thick so I had more of a Grand Canyon of a cut.

It happened so fast, at first all I felt was heat, then the blood started. _:-(_ Grabbed a rag, tied it around my thumb, and drove myself one-handed to the hospital ER. (Did I mention I'm very independent?)

Found out that bleeding people are attended to immediately. Long story short, the word got around the ER staff that a woman had cut off her thumb with a chain saw. Huh? Oh well.

Funny thing... as I was being stitched up (why bother with the novocaine? I bet those shots hurt worse than the stitches!), I found out that the patient in the cubicle next to me, a man, had cut his hand on a broken drinking glass while doing the dishes. Talk about gender equality! _:-)_

Gender Equality... Too funny!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    I like to think of myself as multi-hobbied, not multi-talented. While working with a table saw, I accidentally (of course), put my thumb got too close to the blade and I ended up with a slice. Not a long slice, about 1", but those blades are not rotary cutters; i.e., in comparison, they're very thick so I had more of a Grand Canyon of a cut.

It happened so fast, at first all I felt was heat, then the blood started. _:-(_ Grabbed a rag, tied it around my thumb, and drove myself one-handed to the hospital ER. (Did I mention I'm very independent?)

Found out that bleeding people are attended to immediately. Long story short, the word got around the ER staff that a woman had cut off her thumb with a chain saw. Huh? Oh well.

Funny thing... as I was being stitched up (why bother with the novocaine? I bet those shots hurt worse than the stitches!), I found out that the patient in the cubicle next to me, a man, had cut his hand on a broken drinking glass while doing the dishes. Talk about gender equality! _:-)_

Something similar happened to me when one of my boys was talking to be. Being a nurse, I had a pair of needle holders from surgery handy so just pulled the needle out of my thumb nail, put a bandage on & got back to sewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by annieshane
    OUCH!!. My mother was sewing Christmas items for a church play and ended up with needle through her thumb nail. She screamed and by that time had dislodged her thumb. She took the pliers and pulled the needle out, then just sat down and CRIED!!!. She bandaged her thumb and went back to sewing! Makes me shiver just to think about it. Don't think I would have ever finished those bells.

Do hope your finger will get better very soon.

OUCH!

I did that a month ago. I was stippling a small square and got my finger too close. Luckily, it only caught the side and didnt go through the nail. Virtually no blood but I had to go upstairs and lay down since I got a bit woozy. I am such a wimp when it comes to pain!

A coworker of mine was embroidering on her new machine and got her finger too close and the needle went all the way through her finger and broke off. Her DH had to take her to the ER and she had to have surgery to have it removed cause it went through the bone and they couldn't get it out any other way. So we all need to be very careful about keeping our fingers from getting to close to those needles.

I haven't tangled with a machine needle (yet), but have sat down on a crochet hook and also got a circle fish hook thru my thumb. Anyway, I feel your pain and glad it wasn't any worse!!!

I did almost the same thing, was pushing the material to close to the needle and it went right through my finger nail about 1/4" in. I don't think I got any blood on the fabric. But that quilt was litteraly made with blood sweat and tears. Finger is fine now, and I just bandaged it, and went on quilting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast