Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash a baby quilt? >

Wash a baby quilt?

Wash a baby quilt?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 PM

For baby quilts I always wash(after it's completed) to remove the starch and the chemicals in fabric, but I dry it over a rack where I can smooth it out.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:19 PM

I generally don't wash quilts before they leave, baby quilt or no.

I figure that is up to the parents to decide what they want to do with the quilt. If they want to just hang it on the wall, it's nice & crisp for them to do so.

If they want to use it for the baby, they'll likely wash it when it comes into the house, regardless of whether I washed it or not.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Same...love the color catchers....The purples you used are so great!! It will be a well loved quilt!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 PM

by the way, you have made a beautiful 1st quilt. You did a wonderful job.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 PM

I wash all our laundry in "free and clear" detergent. we have a granddaughter with severe allergies to dyes, scents, foods,etc. and i want to be sure when she comes to gaga and papas she can use the towels, blankets, sheets, etc.
I was told that front loading washing machines are not as hard on fabrics and seams as top loading machines. Anyone else ever heard of that?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I would wash it before I would give it away that way you will know first if anything is wrong with it after washing it. I also wash my fabric before I even mark it or cut it.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rebie
Okay newbie question. I'm finishing up a baby quilt for my niece and was wondering if I should wash the finished product before I give it? Should I just give it to her new and let her wash it? I haven't quilted it yet and have all the pieces. Should I wash the backing and the quilt top before quilting because of possible running? Oh so many questions. This is my second quilt and first baby one, so I'm still working out all the kinks. Help plz. I'll post a pic of the quilt top so you can see the colors.
I have made a lot of baby quilts but I always prewash my fabric. And I also use a detergent that is made for babies. Since you have already made the top I would finish up the quilt and then wash before giving so it will be nice and soft. I love the quilt and the colors you used.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 PM

I wash after the quilt is finished. Then I add the label! :D
Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 PM

Nice job!! I always wash quilts AFTER I finish the quilting and binding. They just don't seem finished until I've done that. I like how they look a little old once they come out of the dryer. The quilting is much more noticeable. I would throw a color catcher in the washer (which is a sheet that looks like a dryer sheet you can find in the detergent aisle of your grocery). I'm always amazed at the color it picks up. Your little niece will come to love this I'm sure, and you are going to love how you are going to feel as you get it ready to give to her. Tie a lavender satin ribbon around it and surround it with purple tissue paper and listen to all the ooooohhh's and aaaaaahh's as it's opened!! Enjoy.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 PM

wash after its all quilted and bound. If you wash it before quilting, it'll have a tangle of threads everywhere! If you're
concerned with colors running, "Color Catchers" are wonderful things.