Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash a baby quilt? >

Wash a baby quilt?

Wash a baby quilt?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Definately wait until it's quilted and bound, then wash it. Then check it over carefully. :)

I just did a quilt for my son and his fiance and glad that I went over it carefully before giving it. After washing it (and the shrinking because I used jelly rolls and didn't pre-wash), I found a couple of places where the stitching didn't catch the binding on the back side. I just sewed those places over again.

I also used two color catchers because it was black, white and red.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rebie
Okay newbie question. I'm finishing up a baby quilt for my niece and was wondering if I should wash the finished product before I give it? Should I just give it to her new and let her wash it? I haven't quilted it yet and have all the pieces. Should I wash the backing and the quilt top before quilting because of possible running? Oh so many questions. This is my second quilt and first baby one, so I'm still working out all the kinks. Help plz. I'll post a pic of the quilt top so you can see the colors.
I always wash my quilts before they leave for their New Home. I also use a product called Soak. No rinsing and only soaking. It's expensive but I don't have to wash that many quilts. I'm a slow quilter. Or maybe it's the piecing I'm slow with. I use a color catcher and air dry. I place a clean sheet on the picnik table on the deck and lay the quilt out flat. Or across chairs, tables, whatever inside in inclement weather. I did "soak" and dry (low, in my dryer) the child's quilt that I did for Downy's Quilts for Kids. If I don't have Soak then I use something very mild, usually a cold water soak. I find that agitating a quilt isn't really necessary as they aren't really "dirty", just need some "freshening." I always include the "all cotton" and thread used and washing instructions that I like, leaving the choice up to the recipient as long as it's mild. I tend to quilt heavily so that a quilt can be "used" without falling apart. And I let them know that. Use the quilt, it isn't fragile. Baby quilts especially need to be washed and dried often. I make those to be machine washable and dryable.