Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To wash or not to wash.. That is the question >

To wash or not to wash.. That is the question

To wash or not to wash.. That is the question

Old 12-31-2011, 03:10 PM

I have always been a washer...and STILL had a big problem. I made a quilt for my son. Mostly WOW and creams. All prewashed. After it was done, i decided to wash the WHOLE quilt. Well, I'm glad its for my son..and it was ME that washed it!

The one on the left is before as it was being quilted. The one on the right is after. The blue from the border (I THINK) only dumped on certain fabrics. 2 in the cream rows and one in the white. DS thinks it looks like it was on purpose. I learned a valuable lesson! EVEN if you prewash? If the color catcher comes out DARK BLUE, wash it AGAIN! As always JMHO.
Attached Thumbnails p1010098.jpg   p1010470.jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I don't know what kind of fusible you use but Wonder Under sticks just fine to unwashed fabric. I have used up yards and yards of Wonder Under on unwashed fabric and haven't had a problem yet.
LOL, Wonder Under sticks to everything for me too.. the ironing board, the iron, the pressing sheet.........

Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

I am just wondering WHY if you already know all of this, and you already know this is a lifelong question,(especially on this board), and you don't care to really hear WHY you should wash...just why did you even make this topic?

the # reason you should ALWAYS wash is chemicals...period..the rest is irrelevant..because you can always add the sizing back in to give your NEW feel, but you won't have the chemicals to contend with!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 PM

Good example, soccertxi! I am so sorry this happened to you.

I don't like to take risks, so I at least rinse a fabric before using. If it only bleeds a little, then I rinse until the bleeding stops. If the bleeding doesn't stop after a few rinses, it gets the Retayne treatment. Red, navy, purple, and black get Retayne no matter what.

A few weeks ago I had a black piece of fabric that bled even after the Retayne treatment. It left a black waxy ring in the sink. It was discarded.

My time is too precious to me to take chances in using something without taking precautions.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I am just wondering WHY if you already know all of this, and you already know this is a lifelong question,(especially on this board), and you don't care to really hear WHY you should wash...just why did you even make this topic?
I had several paragraphs written to respond to your statement, but what I want to know is if you didn't think I wanted to hear why, why did you tell me why you washed your fabric???

Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 PM

Always pre-wash and use color catchers when the finished quilt is washed. It's just what I do...I hate heartbreak.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Fabriclovr

Off topic kinda, but is very helpful. My daughter sent me some microfiber footie sox for Christmas, not only are they warm, but they pick up every little thread and fabric trimming on my floor! LOL

Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I don't know what kind of fusible you use but Wonder Under sticks just fine to unwashed fabric. I have used up yards and yards of Wonder Under on unwashed fabric and haven't had a problem yet.
I'm delighted for you and your good luck. I, too, use Wonder Under (Pellon 805), by the bolt, for mixed media art quilts that are not necessarily stitched around the fused edges. For my work, it is much more secure on prewashed fabric. That's how I learned fusing (from Laura Wasilowski and Melody Johnson) and that's what I choose to continue doing. You go your way, I'll go mine. No sweat.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post

the # reason you should ALWAYS wash is chemicals...period..the rest is irrelevant..because you can always add the sizing back in to give your NEW feel, but you won't have the chemicals to contend with!
I never used to prewash, but after having one red piece bleed all over a white, I wash everything now. It all gets washed when I bring it home, but I don't starch until I am ready to cut and sew. The starch gives me back the crispness I like and washes out well so I can get that crinkled look. You can get the crinkled look by using cotton batting as well as by a bit of fabric shrinkage (I use poly batting for a smoother look). Flannel shrinks so much more than regular cotton, prewashing is a necessity for anything I make. It can shrink enough to pull seams loose.

As Jaciqltznok said, this appears to be opening a can of worms, as everyone has their own opinion and most won't change their minds. There have been quite a few previous discussions on this topic and a search would have given you the answers you are looking for.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 PM

lots of us have issues w/chemicals in the fab. I break out like poison ivy if don't wash fab at least twice prior to sewing. Been to the dermatologist and have meds to help but still have to be so very careful. This is a link to the formaldehyde this is in our fab and clothing. For my and lots of us it is a health issue...not a design issue.
http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_..._and_smel.html