Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing batting??? >

washing batting???

washing batting???

Old 09-20-2021, 06:37 AM

Default washing batting???

Hello all!! Just another question from me. I bought about half a roll of warm and natural batting for $10 woohoo! right?
Unfortunately, it smells like damp cabin. Can I cut it into quilt size pieces and wash it on gentle cycle by itself before putting it into a quilt or will it fall apart? I really don't want to put in into a quilt if I can't get the smell out. Thanks for ant ideas.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:43 AM

Rather than wash it, maybe put it into a bag with some cat litter or baking soda to see if the smell would clear? I have presoaked batting before, and the Warm and Natural did hold up better than the Hobbs, for sure.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:04 AM

I have hung it out on the clothes line(yes, I still have one!) for 2 days and nights I haven't noticed any difference yet. Should I put the cat litter or baking soda in a container with the batting inside the bag?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I would take a piece and make a quilt sandwich and wash it. If the smells doesn’t come out of your sample using your preferred washing method, I would cut off a section big enough for my next quilt, put it into a container or big bag with a box of baking soda and unscented kitty litter to see if that would work. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2021, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I have washed Warm and Natural batting in my washing machine.

I cut the pieces into slightly oversized pieces to allow for shrinkage - soak them in hot water for about an hour or so - and then wash them gently for just a few minutes and dry gently.

In fact, I had to wash one piece twice because my cat peed on it!

On the other hand, I put something that was *not* warm and natural in the washing machine - and it ended up being like tons of washed tissues in the washing machine. So - read the directions.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:18 AM

Maybe contact the company first and ask their advice.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:32 AM

Thanks I have had it hanging over my clothes drying rack in the garage since my last post. I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. I haven't noticed much change in smell. It was only a partial roll, I guess I assumed it was warm and natural but not sure. I am going to cut a piece and wash it- see what happens. I will let you know.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:02 AM

Kitty liter has worked for me on a couple of odors like this in the past. I got really good results.