Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Before Gifting >

Washing Before Gifting

Washing Before Gifting

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM

I totally agree. If there is going to be any problem, I'd rather have it happen on my watch than on the recipient's.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 AM

I don't even consider a quilt "done" until it has been washed. So far, I've not had a seam pull out. My thing is no matter how hard I try, I NEVER get all the quilting threads buried the first time. I will always find at least one long thread to bury.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:44 AM

On my! That you so much for this thread...... I haven't always washed my quilts before giving them away but I will change now that I've seen the horror stories. I did just finish a quilt for my daughter and washed it before shipping it to her. It was a cathedral window and with all the hand stitches, I wanted to be sure nothing came unsewn. It held up well..... so I shipped it. Then, when she got it she said, "I'm afraid to use it.... all the thousands of stitches.... I don't want to ruin it". So I was able to tell her.... I've washed it... it held up..... it should be fine and if something comes apart... I'll fix it.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Oh dear, I've not noticed open seams after washing a quilt. I do wash before gifting. When I have a skimpy seam when piecing, I've been going back right above the skimpy part to add additional stitching to reinforce that part. And I'm not a prewasher. Luckily I've not had noticeable bleeding on anything. Thank you Retayne and color catchers!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 AM

I do the same - I think I would regret it if I didn't - its always nice to have a clean quilt to give. Also, I press the quilt after washing - it just adds a little extra crispness to the quilt.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 AM

I have never washed a quilt before gifting, I like the smooth look of new. But after reading this thread my views have changed! Thank you for posting this!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM

I'm a member of the Prewash Club to for those very reasons. Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM

I am so glad I decided to post my horror story LOL. If it saves even ONE gift from being ruined it is well worth it !
Old 02-26-2014, 05:12 PM

I wash all my quilts ( mostly charity quilts) with unscented detergent and fabric softener. We have problems with all scented products. Especially if going to a health care facility this is important
Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Now that I've had a chance to see how much fabric shrinks I wash the fabric before using it and as soon as I finish a quilt it'll go right into the washing machine before it goes anywhere else. We have dogs and I want the quilt to be clean. Also by the looks of things I'll need to do a thorough inspection before I can say it's done. Thanks for your post, you probably saved me some trouble.
Rodney