Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing completed quilt top before quilting? >

Washing completed quilt top before quilting?

Washing completed quilt top before quilting?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 AM

No washing before quilting. Unless you prewash the fabrics before they are cut. After that, it's a bit late. Just use a Color Catcher after the quilting/binding are done.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 AM

I've never washed a quilt top and wouldn't take a chance on doing it. If I felt I really had to wash it I would try just soaking it in warm water,towel dryng and laying to dry. I've never tried this either but I think it would be more gentle then washing. You'd probably have to do a lot of pressing.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 AM

I took a top to my grandaughter's baby shower. I needed to quilt it so took it back but spilled juice from the pan the ham was cooked in all over the top. Duh...was really upset. Had to wash it...what a mess! I had to repair many little seams and it was a buggar to iron. So...no...don't wash until quilted!!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 AM

I was given 4 quilt tops that were from goodwill, they smelled bad, I soaked them in cold soap water and spun on gentle, then dried, there were some strings but in all not to bad. I would never have quilted them if I could not have
wash them. the ones I make ,I wait until they are quilted before washing.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 AM

I would not wash it until it is finished and then throw in some colorcatchers. I made a quilt top with batik layer cakes and sashed it with plain black fabric. I became afraid it would bleed on the cherry backing so I washed it and the batik and cotton fabric did not lay straight afterwards. They must have shrunk some. I had to really iron it smooth again but I learned a good lesson from this.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM

I did it once to try to save some tops my DGM made. Long story short - sewer line backed up into basement where tops were stored. Fortunately Grandma used wide seams because they did fray badly. I spent hours cutting balls of knots and loose threads and more hours trying to iron them flat. I will never again wash a top before it is quilted.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM

And most experienced quilters said, "Amen!"
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I agree completely with ckcowl. Never ever wash just a quilt top. It will be impossible to get it pressed again, the seams will all fray (and the threads will tangle up), and some of the seams may come undone as a result.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM

I prewash all my fabric before I do anything else. You never know. But, I do not wash again before finishing.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 PM

Well... Tonight I just learned this lesson the hard way and I'm having to start over and build the quilt top again from scratch. I might stop crying by the end of the week....lol
Old 03-01-2021, 06:08 AM

In my early days, I washed some 80/20 batting. What a mess, totally unusable. I learned a good lesson what not to do.