Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing embroidery... colour bleeding? >

Washing embroidery... colour bleeding?

Washing embroidery... colour bleeding?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Marcia
I recently used some red DMC for a hand blanket stitch on a quilt and it bled like crazy and stained my top. I was not able to get the color out and was so disappointed that I have not touched the quilt since---and the sad thing about it is that it is a round robin quilt so the other blocks were all from my friends.
If you haven't already, try washing it several times in Synthrapol. That might get it out.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:32 PM
pal

I embroidered a tablecloth that came in a kit with special thread that was on a "spool". It was completely done in a satin stitch. I took it to the
dry cleaners after it was finished so that it would look fresh when I gave it
as a gift. The red ran all over the cloth - the dry cleaner never said a word and when I got it home I actually cried. I took it back to the cleaners and somehow they got every drop of red out of it. It was all
primary colors, yet only the red ran. I think, were I to do that again, I would make a test patch and pour boiling water over it.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:39 PM
pal

P.S. just got out the thread. It doesn't even look like embroidery thread, it looks more like fine crochet thread, the kind used for doilies.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Marcia
I recently used some red DMC for a hand blanket stitch on a quilt and it bled like crazy and stained my top. I was not able to get the color out and was so disappointed that I have not touched the quilt since---and the sad thing about it is that it is a round robin quilt so the other blocks were all from my friends.
If you haven't already, try washing it several times in Synthrapol. That might get it out.
Thanks--I have tried that and everything else I can think of. It is faded to a pale pink now and I just can't seem to get the rest of it out. I am so irritated with it that I put it away in the middle of quilting it. I doubt I will ever finish it.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 PM

I have embroidered about a zillion things with DMC floss. Red is the only color I have ever had a problem with. Now, I always wash anything wtih red thread with a color catcher the first time I wash it. It never seems to be a problem after the first time.

Embroider and enjoy.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Banned

hand or machine? i've done hand for years (45) and never had a bleeding problem. neither did mom who taught me. quite a few years now i've used dmc with no troubles. now on my quilts, i wash before putting on my quilt, but i do that mainly to get tracing pencil to wash out... i hope this answers you :D
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM

That's the reason I use Isacord polyester thread for machine embroidery. Here's a link to learn about it: http://www.amann.com/en/embroidery-threads/isacord.html

I never have to worry about colors bleeding and can wash items embroidered with it with clorox and have many times. The thread is comparable to high sheen nylon and that's absolutely all I use for embroidery. I did a lot of research before I decided on a brand to stock my new sewing room. My son purchased the entire color spectrum for me. I think you will be satisfied with it if you try it.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 PM

Hi About the DMC floss. I have heard red and the dark colors sometimes do run...
You can if you are not sure like one of the other ladies said do a sample. Then you will know.
If you are using cotton for the quilt, I subjest you use a cotton emb thread too. I use Rayon and some poly on my emb machine but never hand emb with it....

Best of luck with it.... Beatiful C thats my inital :9)
Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 AM

It was hand embroidery. I actually used normal thread, just to be safe. It took 8 times longer, lol, but it does look nice. I used 4 strands of standard polyester thread.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I asked that question at the crayon class and the teacher said that many threads run but DMC isn't supposed to. (I asked what about "RUN DMC"? Nobody got it.)