Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing embroidery... colour bleeding? >

Washing embroidery... colour bleeding?

Washing embroidery... colour bleeding?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Presencia embroidery floss will not bleed. It cost more but worth it. DMC's quality is not as good as it use to be. I have some of my grandmother's DMC floss and it does not bleed, the same color in a new skien bleeds!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 AM

I have two solutions first one is I use Shout color catcher I use it in my wash and it keeps colors from fading on each other you can find it near the fabric softners.

The other is something I learned when I started cross stitching it was given to me by my local stitch and frame shop. I soak all my dark shorts and pants in vinger & water to set the color and they keep their color longer. I just made my grandson a super hero quilt using red as my sashing and backing and I used this method to set the red color. But I also put a shout color catcher in my wash and it does the job no more pink tee shirts or underwear.

1. Before you wash your needlework (this works for fabric also) set the color in a solution of 1/2 cup vinegar to one gallon of water.
2. Soak 10 minutes or longer.
3. Rinse
4. Wash needlework in a small amount of Woolite.
5. Rinsse thoroughly. Soap left in needlework wil turn brown when pressed.
6. Place 1/2 teaspoon vinegar in final rinse water to remove soap residue and give floss a sheen.
7. Roll needlework in a white towel. Do not wring or squeeze.
8. Lay needlework right side down on a white towel. Begin pressing while still wet with a dry iron. Press until dry. Do not press needlework on the right side, always press on the back.

If anyone would like a complete copy of these instructions just let me know I will be glad to send it to you.

This is my first time on your message board.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I asked that question at the crayon class and the teacher said that many threads run but DMC isn't supposed to. (I asked what about "RUN DMC"? Nobody got it.)

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!