Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing A Finish Quilts >

Washing A Finish Quilts

Washing A Finish Quilts

Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
After I have finished, I take my quilts to the local laundromat and wash them in a super-sized tub with liquid laundry soap, my color catcher and then I use a (one) fabric sheet and put them in the dryer (not hot) and then take them home and hang them up on the line and let the wind blow them the rest of the way dry. I take pictures and then fold them up and put them in either a sheet or in a pillow case! Works for me! Edie
Works for me, too!

Alison
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM

I forgot to add to my (too) long entry last page that I now send "washing and drying instructions" with quilts. One daughter washed her children's quilts every other week with the regular laundry and they suffered badly. Temperature isn't important with my quilts but GENTLE cycle is, and not over drying is.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:29 PM

I wash the fabric before quilting to get rid of chemicals and/or other surprises (never know where fabric has been stored) Then I wash the finished quilt in whatever detergent is on sale and I don't use softeners, then dry in the dryer without dryer sheets. The finished wash is to make sure any glue, spray adhesive, markings, and handling are removed and that all the seams hold up. Plus, I want the recipient to have a clean gift.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM

I always wash mine with Color Catchers and dry them.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
I also wash my quilts when i finish - Have to get rid of the cat hair!! LOL!!!! I don't use fabric softener, just vinegar in the rinse cycle.
Me too. I have a top-loader and heard Shannon Lush (cleaning guru here in Aus.) talking about a better way to launder. One quarter of the recommended dose of washing power, two tablespoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), then fill the softener dispenser with cheap white vinegar. Works a treat, makes the washing powder go further and doesn't clog up your machine like softener or too much soap.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM

I wash my quilts that are used to cover up while sitting in a chair napping or to cover up while laying on the sofa. I have washed many that I have given away but not all of them. Guess I better wash them first. I have 19 doll quilts I just fininshed for my guild to give to Head Start, guess I better wash them.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I always wash my quilts when I am done. I have to get rid of the pet hair and all the oils from my hands. I also want to make sure that all my seams hold up. I've had a couple of seams that popped while laundering and I was able to fix them. I would hate for this to happen to the person I am giving it to. I launder just how I would wash anything else. I always pre wash my fabrics so I don't have a need to use any color catchers. What laundry soap and softner I use depends on who it is going to. If it is a baby quilt, I wash it in a "free" detergent and no fabric softner. If it is going to an adult and I know there are no allergies, I will wash it with Tide and Downy.
Me, too. Between Leo shedding all over them & just the general gunk that I'm sure gets on them, I just feel better if I wash them. Plus, I want to make sure they hold up. I mean, I try to make them sturdy but you never know. But, if I'm giving them to someone, I assure them that even tho they've been washed, they're new. I don't want people thinking I gave them just something I had laying around.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 PM

I too, wash mine but I take them to the laundry mat to use the double or triple washer as they are heavy and quite bulky. I use color catchers 2 or 3 in the wash cycle and use liquid softner in the rinse. I take them home to dry
Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 PM

i always wash my quilts this is the final step for me,i can make sure it washes up with no seams coming undone, color bleeding or any thing else that could go wrong !
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 AM

Always wash a finished quilt especially if I'm giving it to someone. Washing brings out any "boo-boo's" that I can fix before giving it. Also, tell them it's already been through washer and dryer so they won't hesitate to do the same when needed.