Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Washing Jelly Rolls?

moonpi...i wash the heck out of my fabrics the minute i bring them into the house. 2x in the hottest water and dryer on the hottest heat. i buy some extra fabric to allow for shrinkage. i don't bother to wash the tops any more after that. i also wash the backing the same way. anything red washes alone. if it bleeds, it's out. i have no time to play with it. as a result, i
    hardly use real reds, unless it's part of a print.

i know you're not supposed to use regular wash detergent on quilts, but if i am giving a quilt as a gift i know that people will use detergent, so i begin that way. no bad surprises later. if it is for me or for a wallhanging, i am careful to wash using quilt soap only.

i turn down a narrow bit at the edge of the fabric before washing. i find it's the only reliable way to eliminate fraying. i think it's worth the extra five minutes.

moonpi...i wash the heck out of my fabrics the minute i bring them into the house. 2x in the hottest water and dryer on the hottest heat. i buy some extra fabric to allow for shrinkage. i don't bother to wash the tops any more after that. i also wash the backing the same way. anything red washes alone. if it bleeds, it's out. i have no time to play with it. as a result, i
    hardly use real reds, unless it's part of a print.

i know you're not supposed to use regular wash detergent on quilts, but if i am giving a quilt as a gift i know that people will use detergent, so i begin that way. no bad surprises later. if it is for me or for a wallhanging, i am careful to wash using quilt soap only.

i turn down a narrow bit at the edge of the fabric before washing. i find it's the only reliable way to eliminate fraying. i think it's worth the extra five minutes.

Power Poster
    I overcast the cut ends before washing either by serging or sewing a narrow zigzag stitch. Takes a lot less thread using the narrow zigzag stitch. I have an older Pfaff and I use about a 1.5 to 2 widtth and a 2.5 to 3 length.

As butterflywing says, this step definitely minimizes fraying. Keeps the washing machine and dryer neater, too.

Reading this thread reminded me of a previous thread of almost this very nature and I remembered a point made about shrinkage. Some fabrics shrink more than others and if you are mixing brands and thread counts you can have a problem after the first time the quilt is washed and dried with the different fabrics shrinking differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2