Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing machine preferences >

washing machine preferences

washing machine preferences

Old 07-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Many yeas ago I did PR for Maytag and obviously loved the machines both washer and dryer. Originally I had both for about 30 years and loved the way they operated. Unfortunately the washer started "walking" and could not be repaired so had to buy a new one. Of course, I went to Maytag and I understand how you feel as it took me a while to get used to using this one but after finally have learned some tricks, which no one will tell you but you have to figure out, now I am pretty happy with it. I know that the Maytag machines that were produced in Newton, Iowa were much better but I guess the only thing to say is that's life!
Old 07-03-2020, 12:34 PM

I would look at the soap used before ditching the washing machine.
I have a front loader and use a mild soap on delicate.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Pardon my ignorance ......
but how does an HE washer make a quilt fade,
any more than any other automatic washer?

Doesn't the fade-ability connect more so to the fabric?
where dies that are not fully "set" (may be the wrong word technically)?
I guessed it was because it does not fill much, so part of quilt stayed above water line and was dry, and part that was under the water line faded. I had meticulously prewashed the fabrics, and the quilt had been laundered previously with good results, and I washed it on gentle cycle in cold water, with Tide HE. It had a dark rust solid, and a dark rust paisley, plus gray and unbleached muslin. Now all the off-white muslin is pink, but with bleed areas that are unsightly. I sought advice from professional quilters to eliminate or reduce staining, and it helped a little bit, but that is all. If I had not pretreated the fabrics carefully, I would not have been surprised.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 PM

Oh, I used a special quilt soap rather than Tide.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
And you know what you have just done ....... jinxed it to work on and on and on and ...........
You're absolutely right! ha!!!
Old 07-03-2020, 02:00 PM

I bought an Amana top loader because of the reviews and it's made in the USA. It's so quiet that I had to get used to checking to see if it was running or not. All of the new top loaders have the safety feature of not holding a tub of water, but as another poster wrote, if you unplug it after it fills, you can soak with it...then plug it back in when you're ready. The only thing that irked me was that if you wanted to add liquid fabric softener when you first load the clothes you have to buy a 15 dollar part, (screws into the agitator)...that just irked me, but I'm over it..I love my machine.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I have a new Maytag it is a top loader. Would not have a front loader. Matching dryer. Dryer is very quiet. Not like my 13 yo set. Women should design appliances, Sewing machines and choose colors used. Maytag is made in USA. Whirlpool makes it and three others.

Never saw speed queen washers advertised around here.

Last edited by Jingle; 07-03-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:24 PM

My preferred washer is Whirlpool. I then air dry my quilts most of the time. I would think fading is more from the fabrics than the washer. Some of my more special quilts go to the dry cleaners.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
All of the new top loaders have the safety feature of not holding a tub of water
How is that a safety feature? I know it's supposed to be a water-saving feature, but I found that instead of washing 2 large loads, I would have to split them up into 4 or 5 small loads just to get them clean, which in my opinion, doesn't save much of anything.

I would also like to point out that there are several top loaders that do completely fill with water, my Speed Queen being one of them.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CarlySue View Post
Oh, I used a special quilt soap rather than Tide.
Wonder if someone put any bleach in the machine before you washed your quilt.
I find it quite odd that it would fade after you took the time to prewash your
fabric.