Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Moda Fabric >

Washing Moda Fabric

Washing Moda Fabric

Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 AM

How are you going to use those 8 yards? For backing? If so, you could cut that piece in
2 x 4 yds. Much easier to handle.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
How are you going to use those 8 yards? For backing? If so, you could cut that piece in
2 x 4 yds. Much easier to handle.
Now why didn't I think of that. Yes, it will be used for backing and since the length of the quilt will be about 90" cutting it in half would be better. Unfortuantely, I DH already got ahold of it and put it in the washer. I told him when he puts it in the dryer to let it tumble for about 5 minutes, then take it out and get all of the twists out and put it back in for about 5 minutes, etc until it is almost dry. Then I will press it.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
Now why didn't I think of that. Yes, it will be used for backing and since the length of the quilt will be about 90" cutting it in half would be better. Unfortuantely, I DH already got ahold of it and put it in the washer. I told him when he puts it in the dryer to let it tumble for about 5 minutes, then take it out and get all of the twists out and put it back in for about 5 minutes, etc until it is almost dry. Then I will press it.
If the piece was going to be used for backing - I would wait and measure the top before arbitrarily cutting the piece in half.

Then I would decide how - or if - to cut it.

It's a good idea to allow as much sloshing room as possible in the washer - and room for the fabric to tumble freely in the dryer.

Some fabrics will abrade (color will rub/wear off like on a hem or fold line) when crammed too tightly into either a washer or dryer.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 AM

I like to hang the material, especially long lengths, and spray them with starch while they are drying - makes for much easier ironing when they are dry. I always wash my quilt fabric since I don't like the chemicals they have been sprayed with in the warehouses.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

you may want to at least do a color test if the fabrics are dark- to make sure you don't have a bleeder- if you do- pre-wash-
i'm one who normally washes all yardage that comes through the door- the washer/dryer is right near the door we come in- so yardage tends to stop right there- the only time i don't pre-wash is if its' pre-cuts-...but i still color test even those before using- if i have a bleeder i either wash/treat it or i replace it- but if you don't want to you should at least test it to avoid disappointment later.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM

I always prewash.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have had issues with Moda fabrics that have red or shades of red in it bleeding/running. So if it was me I would prewash, or at mimium test any suspect fabrics. I look at it as I invested a good amount of $$ for fabric ... why would I not take that final step to prevent a potential heartbreak?!
. Me, too!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 PM

Given that we all have different water minerals and acidity, and use different detergents there's no way to guarantee any manufacturer's fabric won't bleed. I prewash everything to remove formaldehyde, bug and mouse ick, etc. Warehouses have many "visitors" and there's no way to guarantee fabric is clean. For long pieces I go to the laundromat and use a front loading washer. No center agitator to wad up and abrade fabric.