Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a new quilt >

Washing a new quilt

Washing a new quilt

Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 AM

If I were putting it into a show I would not wash unless there was something (marks, etc.) that I needed to get rid of. If it were for anything else I would wash it. When I have looked at quilts in shows I don't think that most of them look like they have been washed.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 PM

I don't consider my quilt finished until it's washed. If I didn't like the crinkled look I wouldn't use cotton batting. I actually like that look and love whimsical quilts. Another thing, I don't want to gift something that may have dirt on it.
Sue
Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM

I wash the quilt before I give it away because I use 505 adhesive spray when I sandwich the quilt and I don't want that left in, in case the recipient has allergies. I also want to see if theirs any places need repairs.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Hi, this is a follow-up to the before/after pics I posted. Thanks MAVISKW for the binding tip. On this one I brought the backing around because it was just a practice piece. And the fusible batting only shrunk the stated 3% but I was surprised how my FMQ lost its identity! (I've been thinking of doing more modern quilts with more negative space and don't want my quilts to look like that after washing)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Can you use Retayne to set the color? The water is a good tip. Thank you. Sue
Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Here's an example. It definitely crinkled up. I used Fusi-boo batting from Joanne's. Not sure if that was why it got like that. It surprised me!
This happened to one of mine. It's because of the FM quilting. It is denser in some areas. If it's a wall hanging I wouldn't wash it with that much quilting. Mine was a table runner so it had to be washed. I removed the binding and used a slight gathering stitch on the bumpy edges and rebound it. It came perfect. Hope this helps. I think your quilt is beautiful.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I wash all mine before gifting - dirt; oils from hands; dog hair; etc. I might be the odd one out here but I just toss mine in my regular top loading washer on the perm. press setting with normal detergent and normally use regular fabric softener. I then toss into the dryer, also on a perm press setting until it's completely dry. No harm/no foul. They do 'crinkle' but that's the look I'm after and the primary reason I use cotton batting. Plus, as others have mentioned, it usually brings to light any 'production' booboos before gifting.
I do exactly the same thing. I also let the recipient know type of laundry detergent and fabric softener I use, just in case they have allergies. That way they can re-wash before using if need be.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 AM

As I use Elmer's Glue when assembling my quilts, especially on the binding, I'll always wash my quilts before I give them away. Also I want to know if one of my fabrics will bleed so I use the color catchers to be sure. I don't want to think something I've given away as a gift to someone has caused that person grief when they go to wash it themselves. Rather be safe than sorry plus I think it gives the person relief to know they shouldn't have any problems when they go to wash it. I always tell them this gift is to be used and abused if necessary..............as I found one person was afraid to use it cause she thought it too nice to use. I tell them its already been walked on as my sewing room at the time was not large enough not to walk on it while assembling it.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:18 PM

I have a top loading machine and that is where the quilt goes. I set the machine to super load so the machine will get lots of water, use my regular detergent (Arm and Hammer) and a couple of color catchers, set the machine to light wash and hot water (which is never as hot as I want it to be when I'm washing dish towels) and let her rip. I usually run it through a second rinse and then put it in the dryer and get it good and dry. Then I look it over for any oopsies. I know this will horrify people who swish their quilts around in the machine with a stick, but for me that would be going back to the days when I helped my grandmother do laundry in the big vat in the backyard 70 years ago. If my quilts can't take a top loader, a good spin and the dryer, they won't survive very long in a house with two cats and two Yorkies anyway. froggyintexas
Old 03-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I have not washed many, but all the talk of possible seams opening up, etc. has made me think. I do want to get the chalk and cat hair out before I give a certain one away. I plan to use cool water and a very mild detergent, plus color catchers. I do not want anything to happen to this one. I may start doing this all the time though, as it sounds like a very good idea, to check the quilt before the person gets it.