Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Out Elmer's School Glue After Binding Your Quilt? >

Washing Out Elmer's School Glue After Binding Your Quilt?

Washing Out Elmer's School Glue After Binding Your Quilt?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 AM

Elmers School Glue is really just starch washes out easily. I just throw in the washing machine like always when finished and never any glue left. It's a great way to do bindings.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 AM

I am a little confused about the glue. Sharon says to be sure to buy "washable" glue - doesn't washable mean that you can wash it without it washing out. Wouldn't water soluble mean that it washes out? I use the glue frequently with great results, but just wondered about the wording.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

every quilt i make gets tossed into the washing machine- washed then dried as the last step- all of the glue washes away....no problem
if i make a quilt that is to be used i expect it to hold up under normal care---wash it- dry it- put it back on the bed---i've never had any sign of glue or fusable stay after normal laundering
Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Just recently found the Shamber glue method and love it. I just toss the quilt in the washing machine when finished and the glue comes out fine. I have never soaked the quilt for 24 hrs before washing.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

he, he. i tried to glue the binding once and evidently used too much glue. it ironed right through the fabric. yikes. I haven't tried it again.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM

This is the only way i do binding. I never heard of soaking it in tub, sounds like a waste of time and a big pain in thr butt. I just throw it in the washer...works every time.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Been doing it for a couple years, no soaking necessary, just wash as usual and never any residual glue left over. I do use the small metal tips on a small bottle I bought from the art store (they also make some for quilter's, Roxanne's I think). I found that the only problem if using too much is that it's really hard to stitch through...gotta get the pliers out to get the needle thru the corners, lol.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult View Post
I am a little confused about the glue. Sharon says to be sure to buy "washable" glue - doesn't washable mean that you can wash it without it washing out. Wouldn't water soluble mean that it washes out? I use the glue frequently with great results, but just wondered about the wording.
Washable means that it will wash out of the kid's clothes when they get it on everything at school.
I use glue on everything that I would have used pins with before. This is one of the reasons that I wash all of my quilts after I'm through quilting. I also want to know if anything is going to come apart & I want to get that krinkled look.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
Just recently found the Shamber glue method and love it. I just toss the quilt in the washing machine when finished and the glue comes out fine. I have never soaked the quilt for 24 hrs before washing.
Thank you all for your feedback. If you're interested, here's the link to Elmer's that specifies soaking in room-temperature water for 24 hours <http://www.elmers.com/about/faqs/clean-up-solutions> (and avoiding dryers until after natural in-the-air drying). I have soaked my creation over night-for about 18 hours and there is a visible film in the water but I can't tell how much of that film is from all the starch I used at EVERY step from cutting to binding to sewing and how much from the glue I used all around the edges. I have just drained the filmy water and drawn a new warmer-temperature tub into which I put some ovus soap. Think I am going to skip soaking for another 6 hours, rinse well, and start air drying.

Thanks again for the feedback--I tend to be a compulsive instruction follower and it's nice to have approval to 'skip a step.' ;->)

PS to charmpackplus--I am an old Grand Coteau girl (from about 100 years ago)--nice to see 'Lafayette' flit across my screen....I envy you your proximity to AllBrands....
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't soak a quilt for 24 hours, as I don't like potentially bleeding fabric touching other fabric for that long while wet. If you let some washable glue dry on your hand, you can pretty well tell how easily it will wash out by rubbing it under some water. White water-soluble glue dissolves in water; I honestly don't understand why it would need soaking, especially not for 24 hours.

Edit: I'm not seeing a link to the Elmer's site mentioned by frannella. I have a bottle of Elmer's washable school glue here, and on the back it says "TO WASH: Pre-soak 10 minutes in cold water. Follow garment maker washing instructions." Ingredients are not specified, but my understanding is that this glue is simply starch.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-18-2012 at 10:52 PM.