Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Quilt Before Binding. >

Washing Quilt Before Binding.

Washing Quilt Before Binding.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
If it is bothering you now .... you are probably best to do some reverse-stitching and re-do your quilting in your area of concern.
Reverse stitching- is that the same as the frog stitch?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
Reverse stitching- is that the same as the frog stitch?
Yup, You got it ...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrip-it!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Don’t do it. Fix your puckery areas now and then bind it.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 AM

I agree with the rest, bind it before washing. You would risk a bigger mess with frayed seams, etc. on the edges and seams near the edge. If needed, fix anything afterwards. It has been my experience that what looks like huge boo-boos before washing don't look nearly as bad after washing!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:35 AM

I wash after binding.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:01 AM

I had herited a baby quilt, hand quilted, which had a spot in it Not knowing what it was. decided to treat the spot and soak it. The spot came out and I air dried it.Then put the binding on it. I think it came out good.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Generally, I would bind before washing. However, on one occasion, the cat decided to pee on a quilt that I was working on. It was a queen size quilt that I was about 3/4 done quilting by hand. The smell was unbearable, and I seriously considered throwing it in the trash, but after spending over 100 hours hand quilting, not to mention over $200 in supplies, I decided to try and wash it.

Fortunately, even though it was not fully quilted, it was thread basted. To keep it from becoming distorted and frayed at the edges by the agitation in the washer, I put the quilt in a pillowcase, and took it down to the laundromat and washed it in a front loading machine.

Fortunately, it worked out quite well, and I was able to get the smell out and resume my quilting. Once it was completely finished, and washed again, you couldn't tell the difference in the areas that had been quilted before and after.

If you are going to wash it while in progress, I suggest you also put the fabric you are going to use for the binding to wash also, so so when you do bind it, the fabrics have all had the same treatment.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
Generally, I would bind before washing. However, on one occasion, the cat decided to pee on a quilt that I was working on. It was a queen size quilt that I was about 3/4 done quilting by hand. The smell was unbearable, and I seriously considered throwing it in the trash, but after spending over 100 hours hand quilting, not to mention over $200 in supplies, I decided to try and wash it.

Fortunately, even though it was not fully quilted, it was thread basted. To keep it from becoming distorted and frayed at the edges by the agitation in the washer, I put the quilt in a pillowcase, and took it down to the laundromat and washed it in a front loading machine.

Fortunately, it worked out quite well, and I was able to get the smell out and resume my quilting. Once it was completely finished, and washed again, you couldn't tell the difference in the areas that had been quilted before and after.

If you are going to wash it while in progress, I suggest you also put the fabric you are going to use for the binding to wash also, so so when you do bind it, the fabrics have all had the same treatment.

Thanks for those great tips. The pillowcase is a good idea and so is prewashing the binding. I ended up tearing out several rows of the quilting and repaired it as best I could. Now I'm ready to bind it and hope that whatever I could not repair will "pucker up" and "disappear" after it is washed.

Thanks everyone!

~ C