Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Quilt >

Washing Quilt

Washing Quilt

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM

Question Washing Quilt

Hi everyone. I just finished my first year making quilts and I'm hooked. I never really thought I'd enjoy quilting as much as I do. My question is how do you wash quilts? Do you dry clean them, take them to the Laundromat to use the big washers or hand wash? Thank you, oh I love all the help and advice that I've gotten on this board
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 AM

I just put mine in the washing machine on a cool 40-60 wash and with colour catchers in. No problem . When you give a baby quilt some are washed weekly . Placemats runners etc ar all the same. If you have used cotton fabric and not mixed with other fabrics no problems. Wait those what others say.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM

I just toss mine in my home washer; warm wash/rinse; perm. press setting. Toss in home dryer; perm. press setting as well. I usually pre-wash my fabrics so I don't use color catchers.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I just toss mine in my home washer; warm wash/rinse; perm. press setting. Toss in home dryer; perm. press setting as well. I usually pre-wash my fabrics so I don't use color catchers.
Same here.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I don't prewash fabrics, so I like to use the large front-loaders at the laundromat for the first wash of a quilt. I use Synthrapol and hot water. The big washers use enough water so that any loose dye is diluted a lot, and the Synthrapol keeps loose dye particles suspended in water so they get rinsed away instead of settling into fabric. I move the quilt to a dryer as soon as it is finished because I don't want damp fabrics sitting against each other.

My home washer is a front-loader, and in my opinion they do not use enough water to dilute any loose dye sufficiently. (Mine is an Asko, which is pretty small.) It is fine for a quilt that has been washed enough times that I am sure there will be no dye bleeds. My home dryer is too small for a large quilt; I would run the risk of burning the quilt and/or burning out the dryer.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM

I just put mine in the washer, usually on the gentle cycle, then use the dryer. They come out just fine.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM

I throw mine in the home washing machine with color catchers. I also always wash any quilts I give away. That way there are no surprises for the recipient when they wash them.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM

I wash them in the washer on gentle cycle and then I line dry them. I love the fresh smell of line dried bedding.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

i always treat my quilts in the harshest manner as i want to be sure that they will hold up under any washing conditions the recipients give them.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i always treat my quilts in the harshest manner as i want to be sure that they will hold up under any washing conditions the recipients give them.
That's what I do too.