Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Quilts >

Washing Quilts

Washing Quilts

Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM

I wash my quilts before I gift them. Mostly so I can run a couple color catchers thru with them and see if they bleed. I've gifted some crocheted items but never wash them. I do wash ready to wear before I wear it (washable items, of course). So many things are made overseas and you don't know what the conditions were. Ever since the flesh eating bacteria thing a few years ago that came in on clothes made overseas, I wash everything I can before I wear it. Besides, you don't know who tried it on or handled it before you bought it.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I always wash mine for several reasons. First, I am not a prewasher of fabric, second, I know they drag or fall on the floor sometimes, third, I use Elmer's Washable School Glue for basting, and fourth, I use cotton batting and know it will look different after it is washed and don't want the recipient to think there is something wrong with it.

Regarding knitting, my mother knitted a lot and she always washed and blocked everything she finished before it went to anyone.

I don't wash new clothes before I wear them. I've never had a problem and am not sensitive to dyes or sizing, I guess.

Glad to know there are options to make everyone comfortable!!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:03 AM

So here is another question if you are making quilts to sell, do you wash them first?
Old 01-02-2017, 11:57 AM

I make a lot of "comfort" quilts for a Domestic Violence shelter, want to make sure they hold up before donating them. I also make a lot of pillows for little ones to hug out of fat quarters, have to say I never thought about giving them a swish. Maybe I should rethink that??
Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

My sister-in-law placed a quilt on the guest bed I was using. I took it off immediately. It was full of cat hair. It was given to her and she had never washed it (15 years). Thought I was going to die. Had to go outside to catch my breath. She did mention she would catch her cat on it once in awhile. One or both cats marked that quilt. She took it outside to hang on the line thinking that would freshen it up. My brother much to her dismay, tossed it into the washer and threw baking soda detergent in it He thought his wife had put a litter box in the guest room but it was the quilt on the shelf. I asked for the windows to be cracked so I could sleep with some air circulation. Reluctantly she abided.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:42 PM

I have only gifted one quilt so far (to my son), but I plan to wash quilts before gifting when I get to that point. His was gifted with half the binding left to stitch, but that's because I was still working on it Christmas afternoon while he was at work. Had I been done with the binding and had time, I would have washed it first so he could use it right away.

I think the cotton is much softer and more inviting after it's been washed, so I want to gift that "warm" feeling that goes with the softer feel. I like the crinkly soft look though.

Also, the quilts that will be hand quilted, will likely have marks on them. Will need to wash those off for sure.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 PM

I always wash before giving it washes out the glue I use for basting and I want to be sure no repairs are needed before I gift.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:41 PM

I've only given a few quilts as gifts, but I always wash before giving. I enclose a note with the quilt telling how to wash it and that it has been treated to prevent color runs. I also recommend using color catchers and enclose a few with the quilt.
Sue
Old 01-02-2017, 02:04 PM

I've only given a couple, but I've washed those. I have a cat and I think cats are naturally drawn to quilted items. Also, like others have mentioned, I want to be the one to catch a laundry problem before I send it on its way.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have always washed my quilts after I make them, gifting or not, for the reasons mentioned.