Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waste or Not? >

Waste or Not?

Waste or Not?

Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 PM

What a wonderful idea...really...Thank you Gladmaker
Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 PM

I use them & wrap around cloths line rope & make fabric bowls, baskets & hot pads out of. I think there is a tut here on the board that shows them being made. Once you have the rope covered, the rest goes really fast.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lakeview Quilting View Post
Here is a picture of the remaining pieces after cutting 42 fat quarters with the Accuquilt Go cutter. I love to use it but feel there is a lot of unusable fabric pieces from the cuts. What do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465967[/ATTACH]
If you're patient and can crochet or knit, the scraps can be stitched together to make a "yarn". I've got some cut like that but haven't done much with it yet. Usually make good rugs to stand on at the sink or elsewhere . And make good cat and dog mats.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 PM

If that is all you have left from 42 fat quarters, I think you did well...i don't see much waste there...just some really narrow strips...stuffing is a good idea to do something with them....look too narrow to me to sew.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:49 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I breed finches.

I just wanted to ask everyone to please please please DO NOT give fabric scraps or threads to birds. They often pick at their nesting materials, which results in loose threads. Those threads can easily get tangled around the birds' legs, which cuts off the circulation. The lower part of the leg dies and eventually falls off, leaving the bird handicapped. Finch legs are no bigger than toothpicks, so even small scraps are dangerous. It's less common, but wings can also become entangled. An indoor, cage-kept bird can usually adapt to a missing limb, but for an outdoor bird, a handicap can mean the difference between escaping a predator, or not.

In addition, the fabric can stay overly moist in the birds' nests, which can cause mold and mildew. Birds, especially chicks, are delicate creatures with fragile respiratory systems, and it doesn't take much to make them ill (or worse).
Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Stuffing for pet beds is a good use for these. I read years ago that it's best not to throw out fabric scraps for birds, as the fabric does not dry out fast enough after a rain (the way twigs and grass do), keeping a nest damp longer and potentially causing pneumonia in baby birds.
I save all my pieces of thread & when spring comes, throw them out in the yard. They seem to like those. My pcs are quite short- little snips.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:35 AM

We have a friend that weaves the scraps into rugs she is making.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM

I don't think that is a big amount of waste from fat quarters at all.