Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Watch for price of cotton material to shoot up lots >

Watch for price of cotton material to shoot up lots

Watch for price of cotton material to shoot up lots

Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Me too!!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM

I am finding I like to wash and precut my fabric then put them in containers. I also have been trying to cut my scraps into shapes. I have a lot more to cut...This worked prefect yesterday when my husband asked if I could make his niece a quilt...All my pieces were cut and ready to go...it was so fast...if my machine did not break I would be done....I just need to do the SID and bind. I will do that tonight with my other machine. So glad I have not given that away yet.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Gosh, everything is going up, up, up, except our paychecks! I would stock up more on fabric, but the paycheck is mostly going for food and gas now. UGH!
I do some trading though, which is fun, and buy here when I can!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 AM

I have mixed feelings, as what to do, because I have quite a decent stash but when I look at it, I see fabric that I bought 10 years ago or more, and have never used. Some of it I no longer really like, and do not know if I will use it. I also find that when I decide on a new quilt, I always need to buy more fabric as I can never find the right matches in my stash.I feel that I should now only buy when I need it, although with prices rising so much perhaps I should buy now and build my stash up even more. Last week I needed fabric to bind a quilt and it cost £11 per metre, which is I think about $16
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 AM

I think it is a smart thing to do
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Banned

There is always a need for quilts for charity. Use up that fabric you don't like for this purpose.

Also....now realy a need to post places for reasonably priced fabric.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 AM

::shrug:: I don't know that I will build my stash, but I will be a lot pickier on the fabric that I buy. I will also probably buy on-line more often since I can find better deals & a fiber content that I want.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 AM

I almost never buy fabric unless it is on sale. I have bought a lot over the past year and have a nice stash. My problem is not having easy access to it. I have them in plastic tubs in my closet and I have to lug them out whenever I want to look for something so I really need to get organized better. I think I'm going to buy a bookcase and have them stacked out in the open. Every once in a while I buy only what is needed at the grocery store and force myself to use up items in my cupboards. It frees up space and saves me money so I plan on doing the same with my fabric. I have fabric that I bought over 10 yrs ago. I'm embarrassed when I think about all the money I have tied up in it and it's just been sitting there!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 AM

As I looked a my stash I see it is more valuable so I want to finish organizing it so I see what I have. I do know I need neutrals to balance my stash out. I have nothing in the way of neutrals so that is in my shopping future.