Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water disolving applique foundation? >

Water disolving applique foundation?

Water disolving applique foundation?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I think that's the stuff I bought from her website. It's not really water soluble in that it doesn't dissolve completely; it just softens up with washing. It is not a fusible either.

I tried it out but don't like it for myself. I am used to freezer paper applique where you glue the seam allowance to the freezer paper (although I use paste instead of glue). The freezer paper gives a harder edge to turn against. I found SS's stuff much more difficult to use, as it is softer and doesn't give the firm edge I am used to with freezer paper. I wanted to try it because you don't have to remove it later; however, I was not satisfied with the results I got from it. It did not come with any identification on it, so I would have to take it to JoAnn's to compare to what they have in order to figure out what it is.

If you want a small piece to try out, PM me and I will mail you a piece in a business size envelope (original poster only, please, as I cannot afford to mail dozens of these out!). If you like it, maybe you could take whatever you don't use to JoAnn's to figure out what it is (and post here so others know).

Edit: Unless I am mis-understanding the original question, no truly water-soluble stabilizer would work with turned-edge applique; it would dissolve when you apply the glue. The truly water-soluble stabilizers are all used for embroidery, to stabilize the fabric so it doesn't pucker and distort while being machine embroidered.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Aah, thanks for this post! Am about to tackle a couple of projects using fusible for appliques! Wash-out-able would be great!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info. :) I was just at Joann's and got several things I need but the washaway didn't look like what she used. The one described as paper-like that doesn't really dissolve but falls apart is correct.

On her videos she uses the Elmer's purple glue stick on the edges of the paper and then irons into the back of the fabric. She says it stiffens the edge since it is a starch product. She then uses another application of the glue stick around the back side of the seam allowance, then turns it over the paper edge where it gets glued down. Heat set again. It certainly looks like it does a good job of turning and stabalizing the edge for machine or hand applique.

Basically the same as using the freezer paper and starch method but you don't have to take out the paper and you use the glue stick instead of starch.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I think that's the stuff I bought from her website. It's not really water soluble in that it doesn't dissolve completely; it just softens up with washing. It is not a fusible either.

I tried it out but don't like it for myself. I am used to freezer paper applique where you glue the seam allowance to the freezer paper (although I use paste instead of glue). The freezer paper gives a harder edge to turn against. I found SS's stuff much more difficult to use, as it is softer and doesn't give the firm edge I am used to with freezer paper. I wanted to try it because you don't have to remove it later; however, I was not satisfied with the results I got from it. It did not come with any identification on it, so I would have to take it to JoAnn's to compare to what they have in order to figure out what it is.

If you want a small piece to try out, PM me and I will mail you a piece in a business size envelope (original poster only, please, as I cannot afford to mail dozens of these out!). If you like it, maybe you could take whatever you don't use to JoAnn's to figure out what it is (and post here so others know).

Edit: Unless I am mis-understanding the original question, no truly water-soluble stabilizer would work with turned-edge applique; it would dissolve when you apply the glue. The truly water-soluble stabilizers are all used for embroidery, to stabilize the fabric so it doesn't pucker and distort while being machine embroidered.
No, this stuff (the RinsAway and the other) do not dissolve if you glue stick the turned edges. That's exactly what I'm doing. I also use a glue stick (simple Elmers) to glue the templates to the wrong side of the fabric, cut out, apply glue to the edge and turn under, press to dry. It holds fabulously, and glue stick stays moist long enough to really position/work with applique turned edge to get it nice and smooth. When washed (after sewing) it does disolve and feels like there is nothing at all underneath the applique. :)

Here's the first block I did using this method, working on the second...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171652.jpe  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Thanks for the info. :) I was just at Joann's and got several things I need but the washaway didn't look like what she used. The one described as paper-like that doesn't really dissolve but falls apart is correct.

On her videos she uses the Elmer's purple glue stick on the edges of the paper and then irons into the back of the fabric. She says it stiffens the edge since it is a starch product. She then uses another application of the glue stick around the back side of the seam allowance, then turns it over the paper edge where it gets glued down. Heat set again. It certainly looks like it does a good job of turning and stabalizing the edge for machine or hand applique.

Basically the same as using the freezer paper and starch method but you don't have to take out the paper and you use the glue stick instead of starch.
Oh, okay. I have never seen the video; I got the technique from her book (Piecelique, I think). Think I'll get the Elmer's purple glue stick and see if it stiffens the edge better. I don't think that was mentioned in the book, so maybe it is a refinement of the technique.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:30 PM

That is nice!! Is Rinsaway what you used? There is a seller at Amazon that sells 3 packages for $9, plus $5 shipping.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 PM

I have been a member of her site for a year and this is a new thing there. I've seen the Piecelique ones where she uses freezer paper, starch to turn, then Elmer's to glue it down.

Regular Elmer's school glue (the white liquid in a bottle) is still used to glue down the applique pieces. I want to try it for hand applique and just glue down the entire block then I can take it with me wherever.

I bought a bobbin box that holds 25 bobbins. I have several sets of very fine applique thread on bobbins so I can just put it all in a tote.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

The Piecelique is done with the foundation stuff too, not with freezer paper.

I just watched her blue bird video so now I understand how she is using it for hand applique. I'm thinking it would also work better for machine applique because of the stiffer edge. The purple glue stick seems to be key to stiffening the foundation edges. I am going to try it!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM

The machine applique video Exotic Bloom uses the method.

That blue bird is beautiful.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM

I think the glue would be difficult to hand applique (as in needle turn) through. It dries pretty stiff/hard. That's what bolsters the foundation even more so you have a good edge to turn against. Maybe it can be done, if you have a good thimble. :)