Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Water disolving applique foundation?

I've been searching for a product that Sharon Schamber uses in machine and hand applique that I've heard of before but don't know exactly what product it is. She sells it on her website in 5 yard pieces but there is no picture of it.

It isn't iron-on, or at least not how she uses it, but it is left underneath the applique and when wet it turns into loose fibers.

Does anyone know exactly what this is? I'm going to run to Joann's this evening near work since I have to come back to do some system work at 7pm.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like water soluble stablizer, like Solvey.

I have never used water solubile so I don't know what type it is. It's not the type that would be totally on the back of the applique like tear-away would be. It would be on the back of individual applique pieces, between the piece and the background fabric.

Or maybe that is just how she uses it. It seems kind of stiff in her videos.

I don't know. But when you find out please post it here so we all know.

I will. :) I have some beautiful floral applique patterns from Distinctive Pieces that I've been wanting to do but they are very intricate and I dislike doing needle turn applique. I am a member of the Sharon Schamber Network and I watched some videos today and yesterday about using the applique foundation to turn under the seam allowance and it is exactly what I was looking for.

I have used her technique of two thicknesses of freezer paper many times but then you have to pull it out before sewing it on. The water solubile is perfect for the small pieces.

There is a new Stabalizer that looks like tear away but desolves in water...Only place I've seen it was at my local Husqvarna Viking shop that within a Joann's Super Center...Very expensive 50.00 for a 25 yd roll...

Blog Entries
    Here is a link I found on an embroidery site:
    http://www.secretsof.com/content/846

It tells you three products that will work with applique and will wash away completely. I'm bookmarking it as I needed that info for some applique work myself. Hope it is what you were looking for.

Rose L

I have purchased what is called Wash Away by Collins. It says foundation Paper and dissolves in water in 10 seconds. I have not used it yet.

I am using some currently on an applique BOM - it's called RinsAway and I bought if through Amazon.

There is also this which I will try next time as it will save me a step (being fusible) -
    http://www.createforless.com/C_and_T...utm_medium=cse

I'm not endorsing this seller - never used them - I just wanted to show the product.

i believe this is the product she uses and sells thru her site (although she never lets the name out).

she did a show at our guild and she was selling her products and to me it seemed exactly like the product i use from floriani called.....

Stitch N Wash Fusible Water Soluble Tearaway Stabilizer

it comes in rolls or 8.5x11 to run thru the printer (which is want i prefer since all my designs are created in the computer).

Blog Entries
    I think that's the stuff I bought from her website. It's not really water soluble in that it doesn't dissolve completely; it just softens up with washing. It is not a fusible either.

I tried it out but don't like it for myself. I am used to freezer paper applique where you glue the seam allowance to the freezer paper (although I use paste instead of glue). The freezer paper gives a harder edge to turn against. I found SS's stuff much more difficult to use, as it is softer and doesn't give the firm edge I am used to with freezer paper. I wanted to try it because you don't have to remove it later; however, I was not satisfied with the results I got from it. It did not come with any identification on it, so I would have to take it to JoAnn's to compare to what they have in order to figure out what it is.

If you want a small piece to try out, PM me and I will mail you a piece in a business size envelope (original poster only, please, as I cannot afford to mail dozens of these out!). If you like it, maybe you could take whatever you don't use to JoAnn's to figure out what it is (and post here so others know).

Edit: Unless I am mis-understanding the original question, no truly water-soluble stabilizer would work with turned-edge applique; it would dissolve when you apply the glue. The truly water-soluble stabilizers are all used for embroidery, to stabilize the fabric so it doesn't pucker and distort while being machine embroidered.

Blog Entries
    Aah, thanks for this post! Am about to tackle a couple of projects using fusible for appliques! Wash-out-able would be great!

Thanks for the info. :) I was just at Joann's and got several things I need but the washaway didn't look like what she used. The one described as paper-like that doesn't really dissolve but falls apart is correct.

On her videos she uses the Elmer's purple glue stick on the edges of the paper and then irons into the back of the fabric. She says it stiffens the edge since it is a starch product. She then uses another application of the glue stick around the back side of the seam allowance, then turns it over the paper edge where it gets glued down. Heat set again. It certainly looks like it does a good job of turning and stabalizing the edge for machine or hand applique.

Basically the same as using the freezer paper and starch method but you don't have to take out the paper and you use the glue stick instead of starch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I think that's the stuff I bought from her website. It's not really water soluble in that it doesn't dissolve completely; it just softens up with washing. It is not a fusible either.

I tried it out but don't like it for myself. I am used to freezer paper applique where you glue the seam allowance to the freezer paper (although I use paste instead of glue). The freezer paper gives a harder edge to turn against. I found SS's stuff much more difficult to use, as it is softer and doesn't give the firm edge I am used to with freezer paper. I wanted to try it because you don't have to remove it later; however, I was not satisfied with the results I got from it. It did not come with any identification on it, so I would have to take it to JoAnn's to compare to what they have in order to figure out what it is.

If you want a small piece to try out, PM me and I will mail you a piece in a business size envelope (original poster only, please, as I cannot afford to mail dozens of these out!). If you like it, maybe you could take whatever you don't use to JoAnn's to figure out what it is (and post here so others know).

Edit: Unless I am mis-understanding the original question, no truly water-soluble stabilizer would work with turned-edge applique; it would dissolve when you apply the glue. The truly water-soluble stabilizers are all used for embroidery, to stabilize the fabric so it doesn't pucker and distort while being machine embroidered.
    No, this stuff (the RinsAway and the other) do not dissolve if you glue stick the turned edges. That's exactly what I'm doing. I also use a glue stick (simple Elmers) to glue the templates to the wrong side of the fabric, cut out, apply glue to the edge and turn under, press to dry. It holds fabulously, and glue stick stays moist long enough to really position/work with applique turned edge to get it nice and smooth. When washed (after sewing) it does disolve and feels like there is nothing at all underneath the applique. :)

Here's the first block I did using this method, working on the second...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Thanks for the info. :) I was just at Joann's and got several things I need but the washaway didn't look like what she used. The one described as paper-like that doesn't really dissolve but falls apart is correct.

On her videos she uses the Elmer's purple glue stick on the edges of the paper and then irons into the back of the fabric. She says it stiffens the edge since it is a starch product. She then uses another application of the glue stick around the back side of the seam allowance, then turns it over the paper edge where it gets glued down. Heat set again. It certainly looks like it does a good job of turning and stabalizing the edge for machine or hand applique.

Basically the same as using the freezer paper and starch method but you don't have to take out the paper and you use the glue stick instead of starch.
    Oh, okay. I have never seen the video; I got the technique from her book (Piecelique, I think). Think I'll get the Elmer's purple glue stick and see if it stiffens the edge better. I don't think that was mentioned in the book, so maybe it is a refinement of the technique.

That is nice!! Is Rinsaway what you used? There is a seller at Amazon that sells 3 packages for $9, plus $5 shipping.

I have been a member of her site for a year and this is a new thing there. I've seen the Piecelique ones where she uses freezer paper, starch to turn, then Elmer's to glue it down.

Regular Elmer's school glue (the white liquid in a bottle) is still used to glue down the applique pieces. I want to try it for hand applique and just glue down the entire block then I can take it with me wherever.

I bought a bobbin box that holds 25 bobbins. I have several sets of very fine applique thread on bobbins so I can just put it all in a tote.

Blog Entries
    The Piecelique is done with the foundation stuff too, not with freezer paper.

I just watched her blue bird video so now I understand how she is using it for hand applique. I'm thinking it would also work better for machine applique because of the stiffer edge. The purple glue stick seems to be key to stiffening the foundation edges. I am going to try it!

The machine applique video Exotic Bloom uses the method.

That blue bird is beautiful.

I think the glue would be difficult to hand applique (as in needle turn) through. It dries pretty stiff/hard. That's what bolsters the foundation even more so you have a good edge to turn against. Maybe it can be done, if you have a good thimble. :)

Yes, RinsAway. I think I paid a little less than that. I cut it into 8.5 x 11 sheets and ran it through my inkjet printer so I didn't have to trace anything. I'm intrigued by the fusible, but I also like the extra stiffness that gluing the foundation pieces to the fabric adds.

Here's where I got the info on method and products:

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...-supplies.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for posting that link!

I have some stuff that I really like. Can't remember what it's called but it's marketed by C&T Publishing. It's fusible and almost completely dissolves when wet (I tried a piece in water without fabric). I use the gluestick method when turning under the edges and machine appliqué with monofillament. I think 25 pages was $10. Not cheap but not outrageous either. The appliquéd fabric is very soft after rinsing and doesn't feel as if anything is left under it.

I ordered it from Sharon Schamber's website, 5 yards I think it comes in. Haven't used it yet but I'll post how it works out.