Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water/ Iron

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I have never emptied the water out of my iron(s). To be perfectly honest, I don't know how!
    All you do is turn the iron upside down and the water will come out of the hole you put it in. Then just push the steam button to dry it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I bought a new iron and refuse to put water in it. I've never had an iron that didn't start sputtering and leaking so I decided not to give this one anything to sputter and leak. If I want steam, I use a mist bottle.
    Me too, it's just that I don't like using steam to press pieces it can stretch and press them out of shape, I have a mist bottle for the stubborn creases, works a treat for me.

In our area in Wisconsin we have hard water and lime sets in the iron and tea kettles in no time. I don't use any water in my iron. I use a spray bottle and have good luck pressing anything I want to work on. If I need more steam, I used a thin cloth dishtowel and spray it with water or wet it and use it.
    I have had too many spots of dirt and whatever come shooting out of the iron when using water in it.

Carol J.

i guess you should, i never do, though

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just bought a new Singer iron and the directions say to use the cheapest bottled water you can find if you have a high "lime" content, which we have. I also used a Board member's idea and use a wine decanter with a spout to pour into the iron. I normally do not empty my irons. Have not had a problem as yet!

I have a pressure iron/steamer in which I use bottled water (distilled water is a no-no, but don't want to use tap water either). Bottled is only $1.00/gallon and, no, I do not empty the reservoir each time, although it is "recommended".

I have an Oliso and never empty it. Use it everyday (almost) and it drinks RO water.

Blog Entries
    Never really thought about it. I'm real bad to just open up things and throw away the box. I'm sure it is because water might rust the inner chambers of the iron and cause damage. Not to mention coming out and stain your cloth. It's probably one of those good ideas that we never think about doing.

I use distilled water and also use my iron everyday. I iron everything....yes, I'm one of those...LOL I've never emptied it and I've had the same iron for over 5 years. I hope I didn't just jinx myself....

I have an Oliso and I do not empty the water after each use. If I know I'm not going to be quilting and ironing for a while I do empty it then. A lot of irons do not require distilled water. I found that out by reading the instructions. I put distilled water in my old iron and it spit all over the place, same thing happened with the Oliso.

Rhonda

I never have emptied my iron on a regular basis. Maybe that is why they stop working. I do use distilled water, but only a couple weeks back I was watching (Fons & Porter I think) and she had a guest from Oliso. He said to never use distilled water and to just use water that you would drink. The only water he said not to use is real hard water. He was not too clear on the recommendation. I did not understand why distilled water is not good. He just said not to use it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I bought a new iron and refuse to put water in it. I've never had an iron that didn't start sputtering and leaking so I decided not to give this one anything to sputter and leak. If I want steam, I use a mist bottle.
    Ditto. I never use water.

Blog Entries
    I recently saw and Love of Quilting episode about Irong and they said never to use distilled water in your iron. They didn't say why. I have never emptied my irons and don't seem to have any problems. One thing you could do is use bottled or filtered water to lessen the amount of minerals in the water.
    Bev

Well, maybe I'll try using just bottled water for my new Oliso. I also have 5 Rowentas in the closet I use for my artwork because they all sputter Terribly. I was told by the company to use half distilled and half tap water for for them. Didn't work! I Really Have to have an iron that steams, just the water bottle won't do it for me. Time will tell. I don't think the cheapies will do if if you garment sew, too. They probably don't get hot enough.

I have always emptied my iron after I get through with it for the day. I suspect that some of the problems people are having with their Rowenta irons is that they don't empty them. All the manuals I have ever read, including the ones for my GE and my Black and Decker say empty them.

My irons-GE and Rowenta at the moment-say to use tap water. They specifically warn against softened water. I use reverse osmosis water and have for years, but would not hesitate to use tap water.

All metal will corrode if left in standing water long enough. My neighbor left water in her iron for several weeks while she was out of town and when she got home, the iron was ruined.

Of course, she left hers flat instead of on its heel, so that might have made a difference.

The chemicals in the water settle and collect in the steam orifices if you leave water in the iron very long. It doesn't take but a minute to empty it, so play it safe and follow the directions.
    froggyintexas

I use distilled water (after tap water ruined former iron) I do not empty it, usually i use up all the water, but, now will start to empty. It is a Sunbeam Steam Master. think I will read the booklet. I know distilled water is better, I have a steamer to clean the shower, stove, what ever you want to clean and my old one was built up with deposits from reg. tap water.. live and learn :oops:

Yes. I assume because the water can rust out the iron and cause it to leak

My iron is 8+ years old and I do not empty it every time. I save the water from my dehumidifier in the summer and use it all winter long. Oh, Oh, now you know I'm cheap!!

Nan

Blog Entries
    I don't use water in my Oliso, have a spray bottle handy and use that.

I always empty the water from my irons when finished ironing. It slows down the calcification and wear and tear.

Ok you ladies have convinced me. Just ran down to my sewing room and emptied my Euro Steam. I do use bottled water as we have very hard water here. Have had this iron for 8 years and never a problem although the instructions did say to empty after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzytish
    Hi
    I have a new oliso iron and in the manual it reads to empty the water from the iron when done.
    I have never done this before when I was emptying it DH asked what I was doing. Told him it says to do this.
    Do you empty the water from your iron after each quilting session?
    Does anyone out there know why you should do this?
    When steam irons first came out, you had to empty them because of the iron and other chemicals in the water. Really gummed them up back then. I don't empty mine now.

NEVER!!! oh my!!! but i do use bottled water--i figure the iron doesn't need all the flouride and other stuff from the tap! :)

I thought the instructions for the Olisio iron said do not use distilled water. Need to find my directions.

I always do because we have hard water and I don't want those minerals baking onto the inside of my iron. If you mfg. recommends draining it they must have a good reason and I'd follow it. Irons aren't cheap anymore.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast