Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water Myths >

Water Myths

Water Myths

Old 05-04-2016, 06:48 PM

Default Water Myths

Should distilled water be used in those nice yellow irons that pop up on their own? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:57 PM

I don't have an answer to your question directly, but here is what I have decided about irons and water. All of them, the best of the will eventually spit water after they get old. I went through a couple of very expensive irons when I gave up, bought me a cheap iron at Walmart and use a spray bottle for water and use the iron without water inside of it. (Just dry.) My daughter buys irons from the Goodwill. I am sure there ended up there because they leaked water, but she uses them dry with a spray bottle. She thinks the older irons are hotter.
I know you want a pop up iron, and they do look great! Good luck with your new iron.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 PM

I don't own an Oliso iron, but any irons that have the anti-calc feature should use tap water. And RS is right except that I've heard the Reliable brand irons are specially designed & do not spit. But they don't pop up off the fabric.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 PM

That's an interesting point. I haven't heard of the Reliable Brand. May have some research to do. What is the BEST iron you ever had/purchased?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Banned

The best iron I've ever had is an old Sunbeam I paid 5 bucks for at Goodwill. It's heavy, gets HOT fast and doesn't shut off every time I walk away. I've had it for years and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Cari
Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 PM

There was a thread about this which a woman (can't remember who) did extensive research and it boiled down to using """""filtered""""" water, not distilled even tho the iron companies say to.
Filtered from your tap with say a 'brita type' filter. I said brita because at the moment that is all I can think of.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Neuras View Post
That's an interesting point. I haven't heard of the Reliable Brand. May have some research to do. What is the BEST iron you ever had/purchased?
I bought a Rowenta from Bed, Bath & Beyond that was pretty decent. The manual actual said in all caps "Do not use distilled water as it can damage this iron". After maybe 8-9 years, it recently died so I will soon be shopping for a new iron. My SIL had a Reliable iron (they now use a Reliable steamer) and I'm seriously considering buying one of those for my next "iron". I also have a Clover II mini iron for appliqué.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

I found this information but could not copy the internet address. The inventor said the following:

Ehsan – Special Guest
11/22/2010 3:29 PM

We do not recommend distilled water for any irons.The safest would be to use either bottled drinking water or filtered water which has taken the hard minerals out.

I tried again so here it the post, 7th one is his answer:
https://www.thegrommet.com/oliso-smart-steam-iron

I use tap water but put it thru a Brita water filter for my Rowenta.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 05-05-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:48 AM

The oliso iron info says to use tap water or bottled water.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
I don't have an answer to your question directly, but here is what I have decided about irons and water. All of them, the best of the will eventually spit water after they get old. I went through a couple of very expensive irons when I gave up, bought me a cheap iron at Walmart and use a spray bottle for water and use the iron without water inside of it. (Just dry.) My daughter buys irons from the Goodwill. I am sure there ended up there because they leaked water, but she uses them dry with a spray bottle. She thinks the older irons are hotter.
I know you want a pop up iron, and they do look great! Good luck with your new iron.

this is what i do, also