Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water for your irons

Water for your irons

I bought a brand new eureka iron a couple of months ago. The instructions said to use distilled water for the iron. Well I've been using tap water that is hooked up to a water softener. I noticed that it looks as if I am getting rust coming out of the steam holes. I have used the self cleaning setting on the iron. But once in a while I am getting rust spots on my fabrics. What would be a good solution. I don't want to constantly buy jugs of distilled water just for my iron.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, But, I have heard that using the distilled water helps.

I now use it exclusively in my Iron. And, I find it works very well. But, if I use starch, I find I get those little spots as well. Could yours be from your starch? I also have to buy it for one of my dogs also. He gets bladder stones. So, I always have distilled water on hand.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I'm lucky that the area I live in has good water and I can use water direct from the tap if I choose. I do prefer, however, to use water that has sat overnight or been boiled first to get the chlorine out. If you do have hard water or anything that stains or leaves spots, you are best off with distilled water. It's cheap enough that when you compare the cost of a good iron to a year's worth of water -- get the water! Water softeners often work with salt so that can leave a crust/spot. It's not that bad a thing to get, you just put it on the grocery list.

Blog Entries
    I gave up and now use a spray bottle to mist my fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    so do i....
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    It isn’t worth the hassle of spitting rusty water on white fabric so I use a dry iron and a mister bottle. I don’t know what you could use to remove the deposits in your iron.

Soft water is good for your pipes, but not much else. It contains sodium and other things that can clog the iron and cause brown spots on your fabric. Watering plants with it will kill them. You might be able to use tap water from your garden hose, because that water won't have gone through the softener. If I use steam in my iron, I use distilled water, but generally I spray the fabric and use a dry iron.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    timely thread for me. Both of the more recent irons I've bought (need both up and down stairs) say in instructions not to use distilled water. But we have such "hard" water that I've been working on one of my steam irons trying to get the mineral deposits out now for about a week--I did find a product that is made to run through your steam iron to get the gunk out--but I still have it bubbling out of the steam holes so don't want that on my fabric. Has anyone used vinegar in their irons to clean out mineral build-up?

My iron started spitting and hissing too. Luckily, it was on the muslin scrap and not on the quilt for Christmas. That iron is now retired. I’ll use a spray bottle with water for misting now with the new iron.

My Oliso said to use bottled spring water or filtered water
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I clean my iron with vinegar about every 6 months. Use white vinegar. I set mine on high steam, set the iron on the trays I use to cool cookies. Put a towel under the cookie trays to catch the steam. My iron is a Black and Decker.

I only spray water on fabrics,quilts,blocks. Never put water in my irons.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My Hamilton Beach iron said to use tap water, but I've only used reverse osmosis or distilled and it works perfectly. It is 3 or years old.

Blog Entries
    I always use distilled and my irons last about 10 years. The water is really cheap - less than $1 per gallon.

I bought a Black & Decker corded iron a good 30 years ago. Instructions said to use distilled water, which I always have. My iron is still going strong, no problems at all. I also use distilled water in my Panasonic cordless iron.

Blog Entries
    My Oliso iron said to use bottled spring water. And not to use distilled. I had used distilled on the previous Oliso and it died.

Do yourself a favor and use the water the instructions say. It will make your iron last much longer and perform better. I know many folks here are not fans but I am a Rowenta girl. I've had 2. One said to use distilled, the other tap. It does make a difference in the lifespan and performance.

Distilled water is not that expensive and can easily picked up in the grocery store on your regular shopping trips. That's what I do at least.

I have read that distilled water should not be used-I use water that comes through a filter in my refrigerator. In the past, I had a filter that had been made to use with irons. You just filled the reservoir with tap water, let it go down through the filtering material, squeeze the sides of the plastic container and into the iron. It worked well and the material used for the filtering agent could be replaced. It disappeared somewhere in a move. I don't know if this type of gadget is available now.

i have a Oliso iron and only use spring water.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    VERY hard water here... I tried distilled water, but found it just to bothersome to buy - now I'm just using a spray bottle, too!

Follow the manual. My brother killed my rowenta with distillied. He didn't know that model used bottle or tap water
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I would use the water recommended in the manual. Otherwise, just use a spray bottle. It's not worth taking a chance on either staining fabric and/or ruining the iron.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    so do i....
    Me too! I love my spray bottle and bought another one for Best Press. Love the even spray.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
    I bought a brand new eureka iron a couple of months ago. The instructions said to use distilled water for the iron. Well I've been using tap water that is hooked up to a water softener. I noticed that it looks as if I am getting rust coming out of the steam holes. I have used the self cleaning setting on the iron. But once in a while I am getting rust spots on my fabrics. What would be a good solution. I don't want to constantly buy jugs of distilled water just for my iron.
    Use whatever water your iron calls for in the pamphlet; otherwise, you may void your warranty.

I use water from the dehumidifier. I put aside gallons of it during the summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast