Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wawak poly-wrapped polyester thread >

Wawak poly-wrapped polyester thread

Wawak poly-wrapped polyester thread

Old 09-17-2020, 10:34 AM

Default Wawak poly-wrapped polyester thread

I'm working on a quilt that I want to quilt with white thread, but I'm completely out.

I normally use So Fine or Connecting Threads poly, but when I went to those sites (and many other sites) to order white thread, they're all out of stock of just about every single light neutral color. All those masks and all that pandemic quilting, I suppose.

A search brought me to Wawak's site and I bought a 6,000 yd cone of their tex 24 poly wrapped polyester thread for a really great price. I've heard good things about this company, but was wondering if anyone has used this thread and can compare it to So Fine #50.

Last edited by SherylM; 09-17-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:46 AM

Default Wawak Poly wrapped Thread

I have used the Mara polyester thread from Wawak and absolutely love it. It is strong, but sews in nicely both in the seams and when I am quilting. Have not ordered the large cones as the smaller spools work better for me on my machine.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:20 PM

Having same problem found So Fine on Piece and Quit, Glide (which I love) on Angela Walters site. Another option is https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/se...t=desc&index=1
Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 PM

A lot of the problem is the places they are manufactured are also affected by the pandemic, not to mention getting it out of customs when it does get here. Try to find novelty fabric right now. It's crazy! And the only place to find it is on Ebay and Etsy and they want $10. to $20.00 for a fat quarter. No way! I hope they lose money. I don't mind a modest profit but that is just crazy.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:34 PM

I'm looking forward to trying this Wawak thread. I like Connecting Threads poly every bit as much as So Fine, and it's a lot cheaper. So Fine is 50/3 and CT poly is 70/3, so it's thinner, but when I've done a tug test, it's even stronger than the So Fine. Other than that, I can't tell the difference between the two.

It would be great if the Wawak thread is comparable to those threads; 6,000 yards for $3.64 is a huge savings!

QuiltingCandy, I know what you're talking about. I saw some Tula Pink fat quarters on Etsy yesterday for a ridiculous price. Makes me wonder if anybody's actually paying that much, but I guess if they're desperate and can't find what they need anywhere else...

Last edited by SherylM; 09-17-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I bought white Mara thread from Wawak to try. It said white but it's not white at all, it's more an off white beige color. That kinda put me off ordering more.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
A lot of the problem is the places they are manufactured are also affected by the pandemic, not to mention getting it out of customs when it does get here. Try to find novelty fabric right now. It's crazy! And the only place to find it is on Ebay and Etsy and they want $10. to $20.00 for a fat quarter. No way! I hope they lose money. I don't mind a modest profit but that is just crazy.
I just completed hosting a swap for I Spy fabric (black background), so my shopping goes back to August. In August, 4my3boyz.com had plenty of novelty fabric, as did Hancocks of Paducah (in their closeout section, no less) , thousands of bolts.com and quiltfabriccloseouts.com.

bkay
Old 09-18-2020, 05:38 AM

Spammers!
I reported this post.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Don't click on that scam post. They get into your computer and mess everything up.

I found this out the hard way.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM

so it's Tex 24, what is the weight? SoFine #50 is a thinner(but still very strong)--more like thread for piecing than a #40 or 30. Superiors MicroQuilter is a #100 wt I think and their Bottomline is a #60? all are poly and very strong.

I have one thread that is a #30 Tex and it's pretty thick in comparison