Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We brought home my new Laura Ashley NX-2000 today!! :-) >

We brought home my new Laura Ashley NX-2000 today!! :-)

We brought home my new Laura Ashley NX-2000 today!! :-)

Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Laura Weisberg View Post
I have never heard of a Laura Ashley machine!! Is it a long arm or table top? And where did you get yours?
Do a google search on the Brother website. It's a Laura Ashley limited edition, Innov-is, NX-2000. It is a table top machine. Not a long-arm, but has a nice size arm for me to quilt larger quilts on at home. It was designed specifically for quilters & comes with everything, 17 feet including the walking foot, darning foot for free motion, way more others than I recognize yet, the large extension table comes with it, and a plastic dust cover. It is the quietest machine I've ever run and by far the most impressive!! So glad I chose this one! I got it at my local Brother Dealership. I can get classes on it too if I choose to, so I can use it to the maximum which I intend to do eventually! :-)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 AM

I know you will have sweet dreams. Instead of sugar plums dancing in your head, it will be fat quarters, batiks and rotary cutters! Enjoy your new toy!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Ah, come on, Becky.... Wouldn't you trade a 40 year old model (your DH) for a new longarm, even? NO? Ok! Enjoy your new toy. I'm waiting to see what you do with it.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM

Sorry Sierra, no trading in my guy. I'm trying to perfect my FMQ on the home machine and have no room for a long-arm anyway!:-)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Boy, that machine looks almost exactly like my Babylock Espire--the difference being my Espire is more squared off and the Brother is rounded on the edges. The placement of all the controls and the screen are identical, throat space and extension table identical. These must be the same machine. Are Babylock and Brother the same company?

I am actually pretty sour on my machine for a number of reasons but the current one is the lack of a good 1/4 foot. I am actually using my old Janome machine right now to use the 1/4 foot as it works like a dream. I am in the middle of my Ohmigosh quilt and making 216 3 strip sets where each strip in only 1 inch wide so I really need a precise 1/4 seam. The 1/4 foot that does come with the Babylock doesn't work well at all as it positions the fabric over the feed dogs such that it doesn't cover the right feed dog so the fabic wants to vere off to the left and you have to fight it to keep it to the right against the foot egde piece. I would love to hear if you have a better 1/4 foot. I asked my dealer about if there was a better foot that would work on the Babylock and they were pretty clueless.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 AM

AngelinaMaria,
I own 3 Babylock machines and they do have a special walking foot with the precise 1/4" foot. I never had a problem with it. Ask your dealer, they are pricey but well worth it.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 PM

quiltnut4ever, so you have a walking foot that has a 1/4 guide blade on it? Do you use that for quilting or piecing?

I found my walking foot didn't work very well when I did some quilting this past summer. Again, I ended up switching to my small Janome because the walking foot works very well on that machine. My problem was the stitches were either too tight together or too far apart (I was doing a zig-zag stitch on a quilt and you go quilt, doing the sashing). Apparently, I was pushing the fabric through too quickly or the quilt had too much drag on it and went through the needle too slowly. On my Janome, I didn't have any of these problems and the stitches were very even and consistent. I would love to try a better walking foot on my Babylock as it has such a large nice work area.

My dealers have been very unhelpful. If you have a part number or exact name I can look it up online I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 PM

I have had the Laura Ashley Model for 2 years now. I love it- it's a great machine. I have put it thru its paces- I do alot of sewing. I have 2 other Brother models and they are wonderful also. I believe Brother and Babylock are made by the same company but feel that Brother gives you more bang for your buck!!! Have fun!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM

How wonderful! Merry Christmas to the both of you! Have many more!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 AM

Good for you have fun with it and Merry Christmas to you all well.