Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are we Hoarders or is it something else? >

Are we Hoarders or is it something else?

Are we Hoarders or is it something else?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Well, yes, some of us probably are hoarders, but not everyone with a large stash is a hoarder. If the stash interferes with the rest of your life, rather than enhancing it, then it's a problem. If the stash takes up space that is needed for other basic things, such as eating, cooking, bathing, sleeping, then it's a problem. If we spend money for fabric when it's needed for things like rent, food, or health care, then it's a problem. But if we just have more fabric than we can possibly use in our lifetime... well, it's not as bad as Imelda's shoe collection, is it?

many times I read a question then read responses and identify with one. bingo!
I think we only have to ask ourselves one question:
Is the amount of fabric, notions, etc. that I have distressing me?
(provided you are not "blocking out" or ignoring your discomfort/guilt/depression over it.)

I have a LARGE stash and used to be distressed until I became more organized.
I do think some of us are very sentimental and very optimistic...overly optimistic, sometimes.
We want to quilt for the world, lol.
I had to realize I have limits and they have been reached.

Sewing for me, cures those "do I have too much", doubts.
One more thing: I discovered, when I covered (made "curtains") for my stash to protect it,
that there was a double effect.
Sunlight, dust etc. couldn't get to it, but I felt much calmer and not overwhelmed
by all the stimulation of so many projects waiting. Works for me

Old 12-23-2013, 05:05 PM

I think it may be called "Fabric Obsessed".
Old 12-23-2013, 06:18 PM

Contrary to what my dd thinks, I do not consider myself a hoarder---at least not like the kind on tv. Yes, I have tons of fabric, sewing machines X 8, patterns, notions, and various related supplies, but I do not have bugs, vermon, or dead food strewn all over my house and floor. Is my sewing room packed with shelves, Rubbermaid containers, and cabinets, yes,--does it get out of control at times, yes and I am sure I will never be able to use every piece I have, but I do clean out every couple of years and donate fabric to a worthy organization that makes quilts for kids. I do not drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble or cheat on my husband. It is my therapy and sanity. So call me hoarder if you will, but it is my only vice.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:33 PM

I certainly have hoarding tendencies. What they show on that show are the worst of hoarders. Many more of us hoard without getting to that level. We rationalize the acquisition of more fabric when we already have a collection larger than can be used up for years. This is not the same as having a collection to choose from.

Anyway, my hoard is getting used down, slower than planned because of remodeling and injury, but it is going. My crafting book and cookbook collection is almost as bad!