Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Wedding Dress quilt? >

A Wedding Dress quilt?

A Wedding Dress quilt?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Well I actually am totally intrigued by wedding dresses made into quilts. I have really wanted to make one. But of course I didn't want to cut into my own dress. I bought a really really pretty one off craigslist. I bought it from a lady that said she had over a 1,000 bucks into it and she even had the receipts to prove it. I bought it for 50 but I didn't have the heart to tell her that I bought it just to chop it up. Anyways it has been sitting for a few months since I am not too sure on what I wanted to do. The dress I bought bustled up. So I bustled it and then cut out the train and the sides of the dress. Then I cut out all of the extra material from the train that wasn't part of that top layer. And that kept all the beading everything all together and pretty. I want it to definitely have that wedding look/feel. I plan on putting the bustled train piece in the bottom center. I then bought some black material that was tux like. I actually wanted to chop up a tux too but I couldn't find one cheap enough. But I plan on doing a black and white simple something with it. That's as far as I have gotten. I'm not sure on what to go from there. Even though I only spent 50 on it I still am very hesitant to cut too quickly. I say if your daughter wants you to make her a quilt out of it make a quilt out of it. Why not? That way she can have a beautiful quilt to remind her of one of the happiest days of her life everyday. Look on craigslist. Where I live there were hundreds listed. See if you can find a pretty dress that you like that is similar. Then you can make a practice one and test drive it out on someone else's dress. Or you can buy wedding dress material at Jo ann's. But I wanted something with the beads and lace and such. Either way you can get a feel of what it is like to work with that type of material and get an idea of what you both like. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:44 PM

I've never made one from a wedding dress, but have made many bridesmaid dresses for my DD's friends. I always made the bride a quilt using fabric from the bridesmaid dresses. In fact, my DD would love me to make her a crazy quilt using all the bridesmaid dresses from the weddings she has been an attendant in, and from her HS formals. I hope to get around to it someday.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM

What a neat idea. Check this one out

http://www.cindyneedham.com/blog/200...isa-calle.html

I still have my dress but it is sore point and i can't see ever letting my girls wear it -- i always think about just giving it away but can't quite bring myself to do it -- beside DH got really mad at me last time for even thinking about getting rid of it. Perhaps crafting it into something else -- ring pillows or baby gowns or a quilt is a way for me to keep it.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:17 PM

Wow what a beautiful quilt.

I was thinking the other day I should get my dress out from 35 plus years ago and cut her up and do this. Of course it is not as beautiful as the dress in the pic, but hey, I made it so I can take it apart and do with it what I want. My DD is wayyyy too big to wear it, and no one else ever will. Might as well.

Go for it. Better than sitting in a box in the attic.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:16 AM

Ring bearer pillows for her sons' weddings? That's a very good idea too.
The DD who had this nutty idea has all boys so if I made 3 pillows there might be enough for a christening gown. Her dress was very straight.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 AM

Who would of thought!! Saw the links everyone provided and they're absolutely beautiful!! I do like the idea of ring pillows and christening gowns. What a great hierloom!!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:53 AM
Lyn

I am doing a crazy quilt with parts of my daughters wedding dress and other material that means something to DD and SIL. They will have it for their 10th anniversary.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 AM

I agree that the quilts are gorgeous, but how would the quilt be used? As a wall hanging? Bed throw? It would certainly not be something that would be washable??? Just curious.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dsb38327
You've gotta see this! Oh, it is breath-taking.
My search word on the web was wedding dress quilt. This is the first one I looked at, I will stop and let you look but you must see this.
http://www.quiltsbycindy.com/weddingdress.htm
I made my wedding dress and cut it down for the christening robe but nothing like this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I agree that the quilts are gorgeous, but how would the quilt be used? As a wall hanging? Bed throw? It would certainly not be something that would be washable??? Just curious.
It would be just a wall hanging or maybe put over the back of a rocker etc. I doubt if she'd actually want to use it for anything. I think she just wants to get it out of the storage box.