Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Wedding Dress quilt? >

A Wedding Dress quilt?

A Wedding Dress quilt?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 AM

Maybe you should take it all apart at the seams and just look at it for a while.....when you see the size, shape of available pieces and the pattern of beadwork and lace in the pieces maybe a design will just come to you.
Even if you made ring bearer pillows, there would still be so much dress left to make a quilt.
I think that is an awesome idea!
Carol B
Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 AM

If you wanted to practice before making the quilt for the dress of a qazillion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, why not buy a wedding dress from a re-sale shop????? I've even seen them at Goodwill shops.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by nana2
If you wanted to practice before making the quilt for the dress of a qazillion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, why not buy a wedding dress from a re-sale shop????? I've even seen them at Goodwill shops.
Yes I'd definitely do that.
But I really really really don't want to cut up her beautiful dress, so I'm going to drag my feet for a while and hope this all blows over. :?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 AM

I've never heard of a wedding dress quilt, but why let it rot in a box forever. I turned mine into a formal for lodge degree work and used the train for a blouse. After spending all of that money, why not get some more good out of all those

Why not a quilt? What good will it do for anyone if it is in a box forever? This way she can rethink her wedding day for the rest of her life. I turned mine into a formal for lodge degree work and the train turned into a blouse. Good luck on your decision. I'm certain it will be a beauty.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:12 AM

I did one for my daughters best friend. I loved the way it turned out took me a long time but was well worth it. Sorry but the pictures are on some disk somewhere. Had to get them off my old computer and I have no idea what disk they are on now.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 AM

I understand that it is "traditional" to make a Christening Gown from the wedding dress.

The idea of making ring Pillows for your son's weddings sounds good. Keeping all this expensive fabric in the Family is the whole idea.

I'd try a photo transfer as a block on the quilt, or as part of the label on the back.

I was told that even if you pay lots of $ to get your wedding dress "preserved" ie. cleaned and placed in a hermetically sealed box, you may have been swindled. In some cases, people opened the seal and found there were other fabrics in the box with a facade of their own wedding dress showing in the "window". Of course, opening the sealed box destroys part of the Preservation Process, so you may never know what is really inside your box, if you go this route.

The quilt concept at least gets the fabric out to be enjoyed.

Just s few comments from a lurker.

Susan
NJ
Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dsb38327
You've gotta see this! Oh, it is breath-taking.
My search word on the web was wedding dress quilt. This is the first one I looked at, I will stop and let you look but you must see this.
http://www.quiltsbycindy.com/weddingdress.htm
Wow, that is beautiful. I love the way she did it.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 AM

I am going to use my wedding dress, which my mom made for me, to make a baptismal dress for my granddaughter when she is 8. Then I will feel like my mom got to be a part of a GGD's life, even tho she is gone.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 AM

My Mother made my wedding gown which my daughters didn't wear but when the time came for a grandchild chistening, I made it into a dress and hat for him for the occasion. I enjoyed the reuse of my gown and my daughter was thrilled.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 AM

I helped make a wedding dress quilt for a fund raiser with my crazy quilting group. People donated old wedding dresses then the squares were pieced and sent out to the participants to embellish. Finally the completed square were assembled to make quilts. The finished work was displayed and sold at a breast cancer fund raiser. http://www.makingmemories.org/gallery.html