Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Gifts - ideas please >

Wedding Gifts - ideas please

Wedding Gifts - ideas please

Old 02-25-2021, 01:59 PM

What about a Christmas tree skirt? Bowl cozies are also a great idea. I made one for each member of my family and they are well used and loved. Weddings as so much fun!
Old 02-25-2021, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

It is always a risk to make something when you don’t know If it will be appreciated or even used. But if you feel better making something because it is more satisfying to you that is one thing. If it were me and I didn’t know I wouldn’t waste my time and fabric knowing it might end up in a donate pile at best and would give them a gift card or something off their registry.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:57 PM

Default Wedding gifts- ideas please

You could do hot pads and kitchen towels, but put some personal embroidery on them. I once did place mats and coffee cups that match to a chicken farm theme.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:58 PM

I like the idea of something small. The bowl cozies seem to always be a big hit with people. Something I did once for a couple was that I got them something on their gift registry list but I also went to the hardware store & got a small tool box & filled it with a variety of small tools, nails, screws, etc. that the groom could use. They were just the standard, everyday tools that one might need to fix/repair minor problems that arise. The bride told me that her new hubby used the tools to hang pictures,etc. for their new home as he was not a "handyman" and didn't come into the marriage with any tools.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I really don't like the idea of making a gift for a couple you don't know well. They may not like/appreciate your effort, not being mean or anything, but just because some people don't like handmade things.
I would do a gift card or something on their registry.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:31 AM

Here's n idea I'm in the middle of making for my niece & her new hubby who got married in December. (Yeah, I'm behind...)
I'm making a set of 2 pillows on tone-on-tone neutral fabric. My idea is to outline/quilt the words "As You Wish" and "Twue Wuv" - quotes from the Princess Bride movie. I will then quilt all around the words ~ everywhere EXCEPT within the letters.
I'm still working on this project - but did test run and shared it here:
Negative Space Quilting?
At this point I was planning on the word 'Always' ...from Harry Potter. But I'm so glad I procrastinated! The moment I saw my sweet niece walk down the aisle to the theme song of Princess Bride I was inspired and completely changed my design.
I'm procrastinating yet again - I just need to FMQ around the letters and make the pillows! Hopefully, I'll get this done within the next couple of days. =)
Good Luck with finding an gift idea that speaks to you!
Donna Mc

Old 02-28-2021, 11:25 AM

It is true that handmade is not everyone's thing, especially I think when you are younger. That said, the things I treasure most now in my 60's are items handmade by aunts and great aunts who have now passed.

The bowl cozies should go over well, as would potato baking bags.

What you might do is tuck a gift card into something hand-made...the best of both worlds!
Old 02-28-2021, 03:41 PM

One of the best gifts I received 40+ years ago was a collection of kitchen spice staples, ie., cinnamon, sage, garlic powder. Accompany this with some hot pads or bowl cozies and you have a gift that will be used.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:27 AM

I have made placemats and matching napkins, and they were very well received. I found out the brides colors beforehand, and used those. Also made some matching oven mitts and pot holders too. Unless you know their decorating taste, I would avoid a wall hanging. Stick to useful items for those just starting out.