Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wedding Guest Book Quilt help....

Question Wedding Guest Book Quilt help....

Hey all, I am looking for some help with suggestions for my upcoming wedding. I want to do a quilt square that people write their message on and then make it into a quilt. I'm looking for some suggestions on quilt blocks/patterns that would work well for this. Thanks!

Snoball, star with a light-colored patch in the center, rail fence...google and you will find a bunch! Good luck and congratulations!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I just saw a beautiful one in the latest McCall's Quilting mag. Definitely worth giving a look!

I would put something on the back to stabilize the fabric for when they write on it. I will make one for a friend this summer. There are so many ideas. Questions that will impact your decision:

1. How big should the finished quilt be?
    2. Do people sign or leave a message and sign (so how big should their writing surface be?)
    3. How many blocks for people to sign? How many people/couples will need to sign?
    4. Are you just using your wedding colors (2 color quilt) or scrap, etc.

Blog Entries
    I would just prepare some cuts of fabric for them to sign. with freezer paper on the back and lines drawn on the fabric so they would "sign here" and then you can cut and make them into blocks.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

There would about 50 people signing and it would be a message they would be writing. I've never designed my own quilt and only ever done patterns where the measurements are already there. Any help you all could offer with suggestions is welcomed.

Blog Entries
    I made one from my daughter's graduation party. I glued sand paper to some cardboard and then had them put the quilt block on the sand paper when they were writing on it. It helped them write on the fabric. Be sure you use fabric pens that won't wash out.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

There is one in "Memorabilia Quilts" by Rita Weiss and Linda Causee. the sign squares are square in a square, the couple's photograph is in the center a larger rectangle and the squares are forming a diamond shape around the fabric photo.

That sounds very cool starshine. Do you have a pic of that quilt?

I made one for my sister's wedding last year. I cut 8.5" squares and machine appliqued a heart on each corner so when the blocks were assembled the hearts formed flowers at the intersections. I used a light back ground and medium to dark for the hearts. I then ironed freezer paper to the back of each block to stabblize them for signing. But, I needed additional blocks for people to sign (she had about 50 guests as well). So, I cut 6" squares of freezer paper and traced the heart shape on the paper side of the freezer paper and them ironed them onto 6" squares of the light fabric. I appliqued those hearts on the border. It worked great! I'm on my iPad and can't figure out how to attach a picture, I will try to add one later.

OH! The most important thing! I found some great pens for people to use to sign them. Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric. They write very smooth and I couldn't see any fading on my test samples-I did set the ink with a warm iron before washing. Only down side, the only come in blue, black and red.

Suze

Here are the pictures.

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  90.1 KBName:  photo.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  86.9 KB

I am also searching ideas for a wedding signature quilt. Suze9395 this is a lovely quilt.

My daughter did this at her wedding. We cut 6" blocks of lighter blues and creams to match her wedding colors, and I'm putting darker colors in as I piece them. We didn't put anything behind or under the blocks to write on them and no one seemed to have a problem, but the sandpaper surface would have made it that much easier - good idea. I am now in the process of adding the stabilizer.

One very important thing to remember - the seam allowance!! Many people didn't think/know/read the instructions or pay attention to the box we drew inside the block (with tracer paper and wheel), indicating where they should write INSIDE the box. So now, I will be applique-ing the blocks onto slightly larger blocks with invisible thread, instead of sewing them into blocks. No big deal, but if you can find a way to help people stay inside that seam allowance it will be much easier later. Maybe an attendant at the table at all times?
    "When I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darnedÂ…But when one of my grandchildren sleeps on one of those quilts, they'll think about me, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten." from 'Aunt Jane of Kentucky' by Eliza Calvert Hall

Do you have a picture Becka? I'd love to see one

thanks for the suggestions. i still have no clue what to do....lol

What I did for mine was cut 5.5" squares, iron 5" freezer paper on the back, and then starched the edges back (so no one could write on my seam allowance). I did squares in multiple colors and had my photographers take individual photos of the guests. I plan to print a picture of each guest and put it next to their square, then just sew all of the squares together with a few borders to space them apart. I wanted to keep it simple
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Becka View Post
    One very important thing to remember - the seam allowance!! Many people didn't think/know/read the instructions or pay attention to the box we drew inside the block (with tracer paper and wheel), indicating where they should write INSIDE the box. So now, I will be applique-ing the blocks onto slightly larger blocks with invisible thread, instead of sewing them into blocks. No big deal, but if you can find a way to help people stay inside that seam allowance it will be much easier later. Maybe an attendant at the table at all times?
    Yeah, thankfully someone warned me about the seam allowance. I got a giant bottle of starch from Wal-Mart and used that to starch the edges down. And some people did write up to the edge, so I'm glad I did it. And I have enough starch to last me probably 20 years
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

Power Poster
    The wedding quilt done in my new quilt magazine used star blocks with the message written in the center. It was mainly black/whte with pastel centers. It was beautiful! It was in the May/June issue of McCall's Quilting.